Personal training is a popular activity because it helps clients achieve their goals. Although a new membership package may include several personal training sessions, over time the client pays extra for personal training. Often, businesses split the fee with the trainer.
In the January 2003 IDEA Health & Fitness Source, the newest compensation survey reported on average and median pay and hours for personal training staff. This report focuses on the most frequent response given by managers who completed the survey. You can quickly see the value of the most frequent response because the ranges between the minimum and maximum numbers vary.
When you look at these figures, be sure to refer back to the benefits section in the January 2003 IDEA Health & Fitness Source for a complete picture of how trainers
- 87% of IDEA member facilities offer personal training.
- In IDEA member businesses, an average of 16 people per day attend personal training sessions.
- $50 is the average session fee charged to clients (calculated from split).
- 65% of personal trainers earn a percentage of the clients’ fees.
- 50-50 is the most frequent split between trainer and business, closely followed by 60% trainer-40% business.
- 54% of directors are paid separately for the sessions they teach.
- 50.5% of IHRSA clubs report that personal training is among their 5 most profitable programs.
IDEA’s newest Benchmark book provides the complete 2002 IDEA Fitness Industry Compensation Survey for eight management and staff positions (C899027, $35 members, $55 nonmembers). Additional resources include IDEA Fitness Facility Industry Benchmarks (C892922, $15 members, $25 nonmembers), with information on popular programs, equipment, operational issues and staff compensation; and IDEA Personal Training Industry Benchmarks (C892921, $15 members, $25 nonmembers), which focuses on personal training and facility-based training operations. Order these Resource Series books and the 2002 IDEA Fitness Industry Compensation Survey by calling (800) 999-4332, ext. 7, or visiting our Pro Shop at www.IDEAfit.com.
Explorers once searched for the fountain of youth, and old legends tell of magic potions that keep people young. The ancient questions—Why do people grow...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.