We pledge to BE the CHANGE
we wish to see in the world
and in our industry.
IDEA Health & Fitness Association’s staff and members are united in opposing prejudice, bigotry and racism.
As a leader in the fitness industry, we feel we have a responsibility to be proactive about discrimination that impacts our members and the people they serve. We believe racial justice and equality go hand-in-hand with supporting the mental and physical wellness of all people, and with developing a holistic approach to health.
We continue to have crucial conversations with our staff, members and industry leaders that have pushed us to grapple with racism in the fitness industry and inspired us to create change.
Below is our pledge to learn more and do better. We understand that there is plenty of room for growth and that we may not have all the answers now, but we are committed to the ongoing process of learning, changing and acting. IDEA views this as a living document that will evolve.
We further commit to continuing our charge of inspiring the world to hope, to empathy, to love, to inclusion, to equity, to justice, and to being the change the world needs. We ask you to join us in our efforts to create a more inclusive, equitable industry that honors and represents the diverse perspectives and voices of our community, addresses all forms of discrimination in our industry, and takes progressive action for our most underrepresented members who need support and advocacy most.
Together we are stronger. Together we are more creative. Together we can inspire more of the world’s people to fitness, wellness and the pursuit of happiness.
IDEA’S EQUITY & INCLUSION PLEDGE
1. Commit to Self-Reflection, Internal Education and Diversity Among IDEA Staff
We will raise our organizational self-awareness to evolve our industry in accordance with micro and macro sociological changes that impact our community at large.
- Seek education for the IDEA team from respected JEDI training resources to help us assess and acknowledge our internal shortcomings.
- Form a diverse committee/focus group of IDEA members and industry experts of color, different sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, physical abilities, etc., to gain a variety of perspectives and to help inform, steer and lead impactful initiatives.
- Advance justice, equity diversity and inclusion in our company, its leadership and our business practices. Address and reduce unconscious biases by implementing regular assessments of our internal hiring processes and our selection of authors, presenters and award recipients.
- Monitor our progress by consistently seeking feedback from the IDEA audience and greater fitness industry to assess ongoing needs, opportunities and barriers; and offer ongoing solutions and meaningful support.
2. Ensure That Internal Work Evolves to External Education, Visibility and Representation
We will use the learnings from our first set of commitments to educate and lead the industry in progressive and sustainable change.
- Reinforce and live out our IDEA Code of Ethics in practice.
- Study justice, equity, diversity and inclusion across the fitness and wellness industry; identify specific issues that call for improvement; and consciously and thoughtfully lead with change initiatives.
- Develop courses, create content and conduct trainings on best business practices that support anti-racism and combat other forms of discrimination in our industry.
- Use our media platform to raise awareness and facilitate discussions on these issues—as well as promote advocacy and programs that support at-risk communities—through articles, podcasts, panel discussions at events, webinars, and online courses. We will foster and inspire progressive interpersonal exchange, learning and communication among our leaders and members to amplify the voices of those who have been marginalized and underserved.
- Ensure that our content, imagery and clients represent the faces, voices and interests of a diverse population.
- Increase accessibility to all company content, event programs and products; and mindfully address justice, equity, diversity and inclusion during development, implementation and delivery.
3. Create, Connect and Collaborate in Support of Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
We will create programs and connect with like-minded organizations to collaborate and support initiatives to increase equitable access to career opportunities and advancement for all people of color, different sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, physicial abilities, etc.
- Allocate IDEA opportunities for, but not limited to, presenting and writing for all marginalized and underrepresented fitness, health and wellness professionals. Actively advertise and engage in outreach to recruit/encourage diverse professional participation through article queries and work-study scholarships to IDEA educational events.
- Develop initiatives and outreach programs to promote fitness careers and provide resources to underrepresented student populations and aspiring fitness professionals (e.g. high school/college programs, job placement, career skills tools, professional organizations and scholarships).
- Collaborate with diverse professional groups and allied health professions to increase fitness professional access to their communities.
- Strengthen our commitments by partnering with IDEA members and organizations who live these ethics in their own businesses and who will help us further these goals.