The BOSU® Balance Trainer has rapidly become part of our group fitness classes. Its versatility makes it a great addition to almost any format; however, it is essential to acclimate students to the dome’s uneven surface before warming up.
For a safe and successful class, teach participants how the body reacts on the BOSU by introducing moves that generate warmth in the muscles as well as the mind. This will help students adapt and feel more confident, opening the door to greater learning and participation.
Note: This is just one small portion of a full class and is meant for educational reference. Keep in mind that, during a warm-up, your goal is to gradually increase heart rates and core temperatures so participants are prepared for the more intense workout ahead. Any extended pauses will cause heart rates and core temperatures to drop, thus defeating the purpose.
Duration: 10–12 minutes
- Step up, legs hip width apart, centered on top of dome.
- Keep feet level, knees soft, abdominals tight, shoulders back and retracted.
- Ask students to notice how their bodies react. How do they maintain balance?
- Keep upper body still and arms fluid to help maintain balance.
- Carefully roll sides of feet in and out to warm up ankles.
- Make small clockwise and counterclockwise circles with knees.
- Squat with hands in front of body to counterbalance hips.
- Alternate pushing heels into dome to warm feet.
- Practice mounting and dismounting in any direction.
Perform Part A right, Part B left; Part A left, Part B right.
This choreography is specific to an integrated balance format with a cardiovascular element.
Step up right, up left, down, down (right basic) 2x.
March up right 6x (eventually jog on top); exit back on 7, 8.
Step up right, up left; lunge side right and left; exit right.
From back, step up right foot; 3-knee repeater (add balance-step/knee lunge/knee extend/leg behind/knee up); exit back.
Walk up left, up right (over dome, facing front); step down left, down right. [Count 1, 2, 3, 4.]
Step left pivot (to face back); shuffle left leg (back toward BOSU). [Count 5, 6, 7, 8.]
Walk up right, up left (over dome, facing back); step down right, down left. [Count 1, 2, 3, 4.]
Step right pivot (to face front); shuffle right (toward BOSU). [Count 5, 6, 7, 8.]
Slow step up left. [Count 1, 2.] Slow step up right. [Count 3, 4.]
Squat 2x. [Count 5, 6, 7, 8, 1, 2, 3, 4.]
Exit left, right. [Count 5, 6.]
March left, right. [Count 7, 8.]