Skip to content
Avatar

Cathie Ericson

Cathie Ericson is a Portland, OregonÔÇôbased writer and fitness enthusiast. You can find her running, boot camping or kickboxing when sheÔÇÖs not protecting her online reputation @cathieericson.

Article Archive

Group fitness instructor self-care

Prevent Injuries for Longevity and Fun

December 18, 2019

Like many instructors, you may feel as though you’re expected to do it all and be all things to all people. However, you also need to ensure that you are sustaining your own physical and mental health. How do you keep your standards high and your teaching schedule full while also remaining healthy and injury-free? Read on to find out how three avid veteran instructors achieve balance. Their experiences and advice model best self-care practices for a long and successful career.

Read More

Prepare to Manage Generation Z

November 18, 2016

The Zers are coming! The Zers are coming!
Just when you thought you were finally up to speed with millennials, it’s time to look ahead to the next group, “Generation Z”—roughly defined as those born from the late 1990s to the early 2010s. Some sources use birthdates beginning with the mid-1990s or earlier (Williams 2015; Sparks & Honey 2014). Generation Z is on trend to outnumber millennials by nearly one million, according to census data compiled by Susan Weber-Stoger, a demographer at Queens College (Williams 2015).

Read More

Seven Ways to Turn Visitors Into Members

May 26, 2016

As the midyear lag sets in, many fitness managers and owners search for fresh ideas to attract new members. In fact, it’s a business imperative: According to the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA 2016), even though retention rates hover around 70%, the remaining 30% still represent significant potential.

Read More

How to Market Exercise Classes for Older Adults

February 25, 2016

The image of the cookie-baking, rocking chair–bound, bespectacled grandma is about as outdated as, well, leg warmers. It’s no secret that today’s older adult is “not your grandpa’s retiree.” Among people retiring now, many are socially, mentally and physically active. And that’s why fitness facilities that want to attract this cohort need to be particularly careful about marketing language and schedules.

Read More

How to Thrive Amid Business Competition

July 23, 2015

When Jack and Jenna Oliver opened Above the Bar, a CrossFit® facility in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, 2 years ago, they knew it wouldn’t be an overnight success. However, they didn’t expect the competition to be so fierce. “It rattled us for a few seconds,” Jenna notes, “until we realized that people come to us because they think we have a superior product.”

Read More

10 Signs You Are Suffering From Burnout

June 19, 2015

Generally, group fitness instructors are known for their upbeat, can-do attitude. It can be challenging to admit that you’re feeling burned out. The following signs of job-related burnout may give you clues about your own performance, so you can take steps to keep yourself inspired and motivated.?

Read More

Friendly Competition: We Can All Get Along

May 15, 2015

When Jack and Jenna Oliver opened Above the Bar, a CrossFit® facility in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, 2 years ago, they knew it wouldn’t be an overnight success. However, they didn’t expect the competition to be so fierce. First, they had to deal with a Planet Fitness grand opening (with $10 monthly memberships); then, another CrossFit facility set up shop just a few miles away. Despite the competition, their box was so successful that they moved to a larger location—only to find out that a 24 Hour Fitness® was opening up less than a mile away!

Read More

Coping With Instructor Burnout

March 17, 2015

The new year likely brought with it a crush of new class participants. But then along came spring, and the inevitable happened: As the snow melted, so did resolutions; visits became less frequent as members began suffering from a classic case of burnout. In fact, many fitness professionals also experience burnout. What can you do to stay inspired??
?

Read More