An IDEA Exclusive!
Learn new tools today to use with your clients tomorrow!
Earn up to 8 CECs
Join Len Kravitz, Phd, in this one-of-a-kind online IDEA Certificate Program as he provides an evidence-based program on a wide-spectrum of weight management topics!
- Understand how the body stores and loses fat
- Discover proven strategies and exercise protocols to enhance fat loss
- Explore the latest research on the effect of hormones, diet and exercise on fat metabolism
- Learn fascinating behavior tips developed from actual research on the real-life biggest losers
Available Curriculum Credits
Gain a deeper understanding of fat metabolism and weight management in this comprehensive course that covers these fascinating topics and more!
- Preventing heart disease
- Learn how the body stores fat
- The role that exercise plays in stimulating fat metabolism
- Ways to help clients combat sedentary behavior
- Targeting female abdominal obesity
- Strategies to prevent weight regain
- Exercise programs proven to create highly effective calorie expenditure
Learn how to:
- Answer critical questions on the relationship of fat and cardiovascular disease.
- Explain how the human body stores fat and synthesizes lipoproteins.
- Describe how exercise stimulates fat metabolism through energy needs of the body.
- Design a metabolic profile for clients in order to help combat sedentary behavior.
- Discuss key topics on fat and fat burning including the ‘eating or fasting for fat loss’ debate and female abdominal obesity.
- Explain the strategic lifestyle behaviors of people who are successful at weight loss.
- Create evidence-based resistance training and cardiorespiratory workouts that effectively promote fat and weight loss.
- Access your course with a computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Take your course when you want, where you want. Your access never expires.
- Videos, articles, homework and quizzes designed for a proven learning experience.
- Up to 8 hours of continuing education, approved by over 25 CEC agencies.
- Successful completion of the course is awarded with an IDEA Certificate of Completion.
Len Kravitz, PhD, is the program coordinator of exercise science and a researcher at the University of New Mexico where he received the Presidential Award of Distinction and Outstanding Teacher of the Year award. In addition to being a 2016 inductee into the National Fitness Hall of Fame, Len was awarded the 2006 Fitness Educator of the Year by the American Council on Exercise, and has received the prestigious canfitpro Lifetime Achievement Award. Len holds a doctorate degree in exercise science and health promotion.
Module 1: What exercise professionals and personal trainers want to know about fat
- Discuss the main types of fat in the body and how it is transported in lipoproteins.
- Explain the role and function of fat in the human body.
- Clarify the health risks and/or benefits of saturated vs. unsaturated fats
Module 2: Hot button question and answers on fat and cardiovascular disease
- Explain the association of saturated fat and atherosclerosis.
- Discuss the health risks of LDL cholesterol and interventions to lower it.
- Discuss important health messages about fat and identify healthy and unhealthy fats.
Module 3: How the body stores fat and makes lipoproteins
- Explain the breakdown of fat in the human body.
- Discuss how fat is extracted and deposited from lipoproteins in the blood.
- Describe proposed mechanisms of female thigh adiposity.
Module 4: How the body loses body fat through exercise
- Describe how fat-mobilizing hormones breakdown fat for delivery to muscle.
- Discuss the role of the mitochondria, TCA cycle and electron transport chain in fat metabolism.
- List and describe modifiable factors that combat the deposition of fat on the human body.
Module 5: Get Moving: Combatting a sedentary lifestyle using metabolic profiling
- Learn the fundamental anatomy of your upper extremities
- Improve the health of your rotator cuff
- Target your triceps and pecs
- Release your scapular border attachments to improve twists and shoulder mobility
Module 6: Special topics on fat and fat burning
- Be able to explain whether an early morning exerciser, seeking optimal weight management goals, should eat breakfast before (FED) a workout or after (FAST) the workout.
- Be able to discuss the physiological evidence on female abdominal obesity.
- Be able to clarify the best ways a person can boost her/his metabolism.
Module 7: Resistance training for weight loss and fat loss
- Explain why resistance training is so important in weight management programs and establish general guidelines to follow.
- Discuss and explain peripheral heart action (PHA) training as well as provide results on recent research of this program.
- Design a PHA resistance training program.
Module 8: Weight loss success: Winning results from 10,000 successful real-life biggest losers
- Discuss unique findings about the 10,000 real-life biggest losers in the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR).
- Discuss dietary and exercise strategies from the 10,000 real-life biggest losers in the NWCR.
- Discuss behavior strategies from the 10,000 real-life biggest losers in the NWCR.
Module 9: 12 Great exercise programs that burn a lot of calories
- Explain the ratings of perceived exertion intensity monitoring method.
- Discuss several different cardiovascular workout approaches to effectively burn calories.
- Design exercise workouts to maximize caloric expenditure.
Module 10: 10 Distinctive tips on weight management
- Discuss the small changes approach to weight loss.
- Explain the ‘smart swapping’ concept for weight management and give several examples.
- Discuss several tips to help clients succeed in weight management.
Testimonials from Len Kravitz’s recent live courses
Fat Frenzy: The Top Secret Life of a Fat Cell - Virginia 2018
They broke the mold with Len! He's so passionate about the research & fits sooo much into a short amount of time.
As always, Len never disappoints. Informative as well as entertaining.
The Science of Longevity - Virginia 2018
Len has been lecturing a long time. He is always on the cutting edge with research.
Len Kravitz is a gem, bridging the world of research to the practitioners. Always enjoy his presentations.
Len Kravitz backs his passion with hard science and makes it interesting and fun. I love how validating science is.
Metabolic Conditioning to the Max - Virginia 2018
Dr. Kravitz makes science awesome and understandable. Left with great ideas!
Len does it again! Fabulous lecture, cutting edge, exciting and ignites a passion in me!
Doctor Kravitz this one of the best of these answers I've had the privilege of listening to at every idea conference I have showed up to. Research driven science yet very personable and enjoyable to learn from
HIIT Extravaganza—New Research and 10 GREAT Workouts! - California 2017
LK is as good as ever. He's knowledgeable, humorous and energetic. He makes complex metabolism easy to use.
Len was awesome as always, also liked his grad student. Love hearing about the actual research results.
Academic citations for every bit of this fabulous session. Len is always a major resource.
Q: Is this certificate program approved for CECs/CEUs?
A: Yes, the Mastering Fat Metabolism & Weight Management Certificate is approved for up to 8 hours of continuing education credits with over 25 agencies. See the "course overview" tab for the specific agencies and credits.
Q: When does the course begin?
A: This course is available "on demand" so you can access the course in your account immediately after purchase.
Q: What devices can I access my course from?
A: You can access your course from a computer, tablet or smartphone.