Is Digestion Derailing Your Client’s Ability to Train Their Best?
Is Digestion Derailing Your Client’s Ability to Train Their Best? Stomach discomfort can take a toll on your client’s health and ability to train. Though digestive concerns are very prevalent, they are not easy for people to figure out on their own. As a result, your clients may self-diagnose, under eat or unnecessarily eliminate important food groups which can lead to inadequate nutrient intake. This session will uncover common causes and give you a roadmap to help your clients find solutions to support their digestion.
– Summarize common culprits that can lead to stomach discomfort in otherwise healthy individuals.
– Describe some of the potential issues with long term use of over-the-counter medications to treat gut issues.
– Distinguish between GI symptoms athletes and gym-goers commonly present with and be proficient in providing simple solutions that may attenuate or alleviate their GI concerns.
– Identify potential nutrient concerns stemming from avoiding specific foods or food groups.
– Explain how inadequate nutrient intake can affect health and training.
Marie Spano, MS, RD, CSCS, CSSD, is one of the country’s leading sports nutritionists. Spano is the consulting major league sports dietitian for the Atlanta Braves. She previously worked for the Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta Thrashers and Blackzillians. Spano has appeared on NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS affiliates, and authored hundreds of magazine articles and trade publication articles, written book chapters, and is lead author of Nutrition for Sport, Exercise and Health. Find her on Twitter and Instagram: @mariespano.