Six Steps to Securing the Class of Your Dreams
You want to teach at “Big Gym,” where all the serious athletes train. The problem: The ink is still drying on your certification. Although it will take patience, here are the steps that will get you there:
- Become a regular in the classes you want to teach, and get to know the instructors. Ask if they would be willing to let you team-teach.
- Teach as many classes at as many places as you can. The more you teach, the less “green” you become
- Ask to be included on the sub list at “Big Gym,” and then be the best sub on the planet. Bring your A-game to every class.
- If members give you positive feedback after you sub, let them know you would love to teach regularly, and ask them to share their feedback with the manager. Member support is a huge boost!
- Accept any class at any timeslot you are offered at “Big Gym,” and then grow the class. Let your manager know which times and classes you’d like to teach, and be patient. If you have proven yourself as a rock star (and not a squeaky wheel), you will be the first person in line when a class opens up.
It’s never possible to please everyone, but the fact that you’re trying goes a long way. No matter how long you’ve been teaching, “helpful suggestions” will always be forthcoming. Look at each one closely, and rather than beating yourself up, see if you can find a way to improve.
It takes guts to get in front of people, put yourself out there and try to deliver a home-run performance day after day. Give yourself credit for all the hard work you do, and get ready to trade in your rookie card for a ticket to the big leagues.
To read more about how to bypass common rookie mistakes, please see “Rookie Undercover: Bypassing Common Mistakes” in the online IDEA Library or in the September 2015 print issue of IDEA Fitness Journal. If you cannot access the full article and would like to, please contact the IDEA Inspired Service Team at (800) 999-4332, ext. 7.
Dear IDEA Fitness Community, IDEA Health & Fitness Association’s staff and members are united in opposing prejudice, bigotry and racism. We denounce all acts and intents associated with these affronts to…
Updated: 4/14/2020 It is with a very heavy heart that we must cancel the 2020 IDEA World Convention, July 8-12, in Anaheim, CA. Despite making…
Editor in Chief: Sandy Todd Webster Executive Managing Editor: Katherine Watson Executive Editor: Joy Keller Production Editor: Judy Minich Publications Assistant: Sarah Kolvas Art Director:...