This class is a mega movement multivitamin combining essential core training with restorative self-myofascial release techniques. Every movement recruits trunk muscles, creating a strong foundation for any physical challenge. The foam-rolling section releases fascial adhesions and can help prevent injuries. Participants will leave feeling strong, centered and relaxed.
Center and Roll Details
Goal/emphasis: core training and self-myofascial release
Total time: 1 hour
Equipment needed: mats and foam rollers
Music: 128 beats per minute or slower
Warmup (10 minutes)
Help participants engage and control the deep muscles of the core with the following preparatory routine. Perform the sets from a supine position, knees bent, feet on the floor. Tilt the pelvis slightly to engage those core muscles, and hold them tight as you move.
- Keep knees at 90 degrees.
Lift knees above hips, then lower back to floor; 2 counts up, 2 counts down, 8 reps.
- Be mindful of neutral spine.
- Place feet on floor near buttocks.
- Push through heels to lift hips.
- Squeeze gluteals, 16 pulses.
Two-count crunch: With fingertips at temples, crunch ribs to hips; 2 counts up, 2 counts down, 8 reps.
- Lift hips into bridge.
- Extend right leg straight to ceiling.
- Squeeze left hip up, using L glute and hamstring; 24 pulses.
Double 2-count crunch: Repeat 2-count crunch from above, adding knee lifts.
Single-leg bridge: Repeat same move as above, opposite side.
Double 2-count crunch with optional extension:
- Repeat double 2-count crunch. Add option of extending legs 45 degrees, arms overhead.
- Keep head and shoulders lifted, 8 reps.
Bridge: Do traditional bridge, 16 pulses.
Warmup Floor-Work (10 minutes)
Tell participants they can rest in child’s pose between sets of planks and back extensions.
- Set up in structurally correct plank, either on forearms and toes or on forearms and knees.
- Ensure elbows are directly beneath shoulders, spine is neutral, and deep core muscles are engaged.
- Gaze at thumbnails, keeping neck neutral.
- Hold for 45 seconds.
- Lie prone, elbows at 90 degrees like goal posts.
- Lift chest away from floor, engaging spinal extensors.
- Pulse 3├ù up, then lower back down.down.
- Do 8 triple-pulse reps.
Plank with leg hold:
- Start in plank position.
- Extend leg to hip level; hold.
- Perform this alternating holding pattern: 15 seconds center, 15 seconds R-side hold, 15 seconds center, 15 seconds L-side hold.
Airplane back extension:
- Lift both chest and thighs off floor.
- “Anchor” through glutes.
- Do 8 triple-pulse reps.
Plank with glute pulse:
- Set up in plank.
- Bend R knee so foot faces ceiling.
- Pulse foot toward ceiling using gluteals, while holding plank; 24 pulses.
- Repeat, L side.
Airplane back extension: 16 single-count reps.
Standing Glute Work and Balance (10 minutes)
Remind participants to keep spine neutral and engage deep core muscles.
Lunge combo, R:
- Do stationary lunge, R foot forward; 16 pulses.
- Do repeater lunge, 16 reps. From bottom of lunge, lift L leg through to a “balance knee” position.
- Modify by touching foot to floor.
Single-leg squat, R:
- Balance on R leg.
- Extend L leg back, touching toe to floor or allowing toe to hover.
- Squat down and up through R leg only, letting L leg slide back and forth inches from floor, touching down only when needed, 16 reps.
- Extend arms to sides if needed for balance.
Squat combo, R:
- Do standard squat, 16 reps. Keep feet parallel and hip-width apart.
- Transition to squat with kick-back/glute squeeze at top of movement, R; 16 reps.
- Perform squat, triple kick-back, R; 8 reps.
- Do single-leg kick-back, R; 24 reps.
For a second set of standing glute work and foam rolling exercises, please see “Center and Roll” in the online IDEA Library or in the March 2018 print edition of Fitness Journal. If you cannot access the full article and would like to, please contact the IDEA Inspired Service Team at 800-999-4332, ext. 7.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.