Format: This whole-body workout is a stationary circuit, which means all exercises are executed simultaneously—as a group—with the instructor leading (no stations). Following a 3- to 5-minute warm-up, the main workout comprises three blocks of time-based cardio segments and repetition-based strength exercises for both upper and lower body. The class concludes with 2-3 minutes of core training and 2-3 minutes of cool-down and static stretches.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Music: 124-140 beats per minute
Equipment (per Person): one set of resistance tubing that can be held in hands for duration of workout
Warm-Up (3-5 minutes)
This segment mimics lower-intensity versions of exercises in the main workout. You can choose to perform these either rhythmically or athletically. Hold tubing in both hands, pulling it to create constant resistance.
- Stationary squat: squat, and push tubing onto thighs, engaging middle-back and rear deltoid muscles. Extend arms overhead on way up (shoulder extension).
- Moving squats: perform 2 frontal squats with feet hip width apart, then 2 squats moving right (R) and 2 squats moving left (L).
- Hip hinge with rear deltoid flye: bend or fold at hip, with soft knees. Reach arms toward ceiling.
- Slow squat = 32 counts.
- 8 tempo squats = 32 counts.
- 2 moving tempo squats R and 2 moving tempo squats L, 4x = 32 counts.
- Tubing push-down and pull-back into legs combined with moving tempo squats, 4x = 32 counts.
- 2 slow hip hinges = 16 counts (see warm-up exercises above for explanation of movements).
- 2 hip hinges: hold down 3 counts, up on 4 = 16 counts.
- 2 moving tempo squats R, then 1 slow hip hinge—down on 1, hold 6 counts, up on 8 (repeat L) = 32 counts. Layer in rear deltoid flye on counts 3 and 4 of hip hinge.
- Perform final warm-up combination, alternating sides 2-4 times.
Main Workout (20-23 minutes)
For all strength training moves, which alternate between lower and upper body, complete 16 repetitions (4 slow, 8 tempo, 4 slow). Hold tubing in hands while performing cardio drills for 1 minute.
- Stationary lunge, R leg: secure tubing under R foot, bend elbows and pull toward waist to create resistance.
- Shoulder lateral raise: secure tubing under feet, hold handles and raise arms out to sides.
- Cardio drill: shuffle 4 counts, R and L.
- Stationary lunge, L leg: secure tubing under L foot.
- Bent-over shoulder extension: secure tubing under feet, hinge at hip, press extended arms up and back to engage middle-back muscles.
- Cardio drill: shuffle and touch floor 4 counts, R and L.
- Single-leg hip hinge, R leg: double-wrap tubing around R foot, bend and pull elbows to waist to create resistance. Start with bilateral hip hinge, then shift weight to R leg by lifting L heel first, then L foot. Progress movement by executing movement on single leg, with entire L foot lifted.
- Biceps curl: secure tubing under feet, palms up, elbows bent.
- Cardio drill: bound up 4x, jog back 8x = 16 counts.
- Single-leg hip hinge, L leg: repeat as above on opposite leg.
- Alternating shoulder press: secure tubing under one foot, and complete 16 presses with each arm (32 reps total).
- Cardio drills: bound up 4x, double jogs back = 16 counts.
- Single-leg squat, R leg: double-wrap tubing around R foot, shift weight to R leg by lifting heel of L foot.
- Shoulder front raise: secure tubing under foot, and raise extended arms to front.
- Cardio drill: fast feet/V-step, R foot lead: start with slow out-out, in-in, and progressively increase speed.
- Single-leg squat, L leg: repeat as above, on opposite leg.
- Rear deltoid flye: secure tubing under feet, hinge at hip, and raise arms out to sides to work middle-back muscles.
- Cardio drill: fast feet/V-step, L foot lead.
Cool-Down (2-6 minutes)
March in place and step-touch for 30 seconds or more to lower intensity and heart rate; then recover.
- Prone elbow plank: hold 15-30 seconds (2 sets).
- Side elbow plank: hold 15-30 seconds (2 sets).
- Ab crunches, if time permits.
Hold stretches for 10-20 seconds, and be sure to include the following areas:
- hamstrings, calves, glutes and lower back
- chest, biceps, triceps and anterior deltoid
- quadriceps and hip flexors
- back extensors
- To increase intensity, keep recovery between exercises short.
- To shorten cool-down, briefly and statically stretch muscles between exercises.
- To increase resistance for lower-body strength exercises, double-wrap tubing around foot.
- Start by holding tubing with both hands and wrap it over shoe laces, then loop under instep and around foot.
- Note that all single-leg exercises can be modified by executing movements on both legs.
- To retain the time-efficient aspect of class, keep equipment setup and exercise complexity to a minimum.
Dear IDEA Fitness Community, IDEA Health & Fitness Association’s staff and members are united in opposing prejudice, bigotry and racism. We denounce all acts and intents associated with these affronts to…
Updated: 4/14/2020 It is with a very heavy heart that we must cancel the 2020 IDEA World Convention, July 8-12, in Anaheim, CA. Despite making…
Editor in Chief: Sandy Todd Webster Executive Managing Editor: Katherine Watson Executive Editor: Joy Keller Production Editor: Judy Minich Publications Assistant: Sarah Kolvas Art Director:...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.