Are you ready to mix up your martial arts moves? 3-2-1 Kick! is an interval kickboxing class that integrates cardio, strength and core work. In each round of the work phase, innovative cardio kickboxing combinations, martial arts-inspired strength work, and core moves are performed in quick intervals to keep participants engaged, motivated and challenged.
3-2-1 Kick! Details
Goal/Emphasis: total-body kickboxing interval training workout
Time: approximately 45 minutes
Equipment: dumbbells, stability balls and mats
Music: 136-150 beats per minute
Additional notes: Emphasize safety and technique, as punching and kicking involve quick extension and flexion of the elbow, hip and knee joints . Address the following:
- When throwing punches and kicks, avoid fully extending the joint. Keep elbows and knees slightly bent to prevent hyperextension.
- Rechamber punches and kicks.
- Lift the heel to allow hips to rotate while punching. Power is generated from the hips.
- Emphasize technique and control instead of height for all kicks.
Warm-Up (5-8 minutes)
Begin with standard warm-up movements to elevate heart rate. Gradually progress to basic punches and kicks. Warm-up may include side steps, hamstring curls, knee lifts, light kicks and bob-and-weaves. Review the following:
- Jab: Straight punch extends from lead hand.
- Cross: Straight punch extends from back hand (back heel lifts).
- Hook: Punch comes across face, arm parallel to floor, elbow bent at 90o.
- Upper cut: Back elbow stays close to body as arm scoops and extends upward, aiming under chin.
- Elbow: Lower portion of forearm strikes across body, hand at chest.
- Palm strike: Heel of hand aims front as arm extends.
- Front kick: With hips facing forward, one leg lifts, knee bent at 90o. Leg extends, aiming with ball of foot. Leg rechambers and returns to original position.
- Side kick: Knee lifts to chest, heel, hip and shoulder in one straight line. Base foot pivots so that toes point away from kick. Heel thrusts to side, toes down and pulled back. Knee rechambers, and foot returns to floor.
- Back kick: Knee is lifted, and heel extends back, toes pointing down. Knee rechambers, and foot returns to floor.
Work Phase (30-35 minutes)
Each 6-minute round includes three parts:
- cardio combination (3 minutes)
- strength work (2 minutes)
- core move (1 minute)
Gradually build intensity with each round, peaking with round five. Build form during the first 1┬¢ minutes of the cardio combination, and then repeat 5-6 times “full-out” for the final 1┬¢ minutes.
- Start with hips square to front.
- Moving forward: Bob and weave right with left upper cut, bob and weave L with R upper cut, 2x (8 cts).
- Jump rope, moving backward (8 cts).
- Squat + two punches as you rise up, 2x (8 cts).
- Speed bag (8 cts).
- Squat + front kick (alternating), 1 minute.
- Three-pulse squat + kick (alternating), 1 minute.
- Lie on stability ball, lower back in center of ball, feet flat on floor. Crunch and punch R and L at top of movement. Return to start and repeat.
- Start in boxing stance, R leg forward.
- R lead: Jab-cross-jab-cross (4 cts), R hook (2 cts), L upper cut (2 cts).
- To front: L knee, R knee, L front kick, R front kick (8 cts).
- Jump legs out, R lead: 4 punches front (4 cts), 2 elbows across (R, L) (4 cts).
- Squat + 2 hops, 2x (8 cts); turn as you hop to L lead.
- Start on hands and knees, shoulders over wrists and hips above knees.
- Abduct R leg, extend leg to side, pointing foot for roundhouse kick. Hold 1-2 seconds, bend knee and return to start (1 minute per leg).
- Hold high plank: Alternate R and L back kicks.
- Start with legs hip-width apart.
- Shuffle R (4 cts), jumping jack then R jab (4 cts).
- Jumping jack then L jab (4 cts), squat center, jump R and L with simultaneous punch to front (4 cts).
- 2 burpees (16 cts).
- Push-ups with rotational back-fist (lift one arm and extend fist toward ceiling as body rotates) after each rep. Return to start and repeat on other side (1 minute).
- Triceps push-up for three pulses, jump legs to squat, lift upper body and palm-strike to front; repeat (1 minute).
- Side plank on forearm. Progression: Lift top leg, draw knee toward chest and extend for side kick. Rechamber, and rest on top of bottom leg (30 seconds each side).
For rounds four and five, plus cool-down suggestions, please see “Sample Class 3-2-1 Kick!” in the online IDEA Library or in the September 2015 issue of IDEA Fitness Journal. If you cannot access the full article and would like to, please contact the IDEA Inspired Service Team at (800) 999-4332, ext. 7
Dear IDEA Fitness Community, IDEA Health & Fitness Association’s staff and members are united in opposing prejudice, bigotry and racism. We denounce all acts and intents associated with these affronts to…
Updated: 4/14/2020 It is with a very heavy heart that we must cancel the 2020 IDEA World Convention, July 8-12, in Anaheim, CA. Despite making…
Editor in Chief: Sandy Todd Webster Executive Managing Editor: Katherine Watson Executive Editor: Joy Keller Production Editor: Judy Minich Publications Assistant: Sarah Kolvas Art Director:...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.