Prep: 50 min
Total: 50 min
Servings: 4 servings
Want to eat healthier? Make meatballs with high-fiber cereal & serve them over delicious whole wheat pasta
- ¾ cup Fiber One™ original bran cereal
- 1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 6 oz uncooked whole wheat angel hair (capellini) pasta Additional shredded parmesan cheese, if desired
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, if desired
- Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and finely crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or finely crush in food processor).
- In large bowl, mix cereal, ground beef, 1/4 cup cheese, the Italian seasoning, garlic powder and 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce until well blended. Shape into 16 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs.
- Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray. Cook meatballs in skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned. Drain if necessary. Add remaining tomato sauce, tomatoes and red pepper to skillet; turn meatballs to coat.
- Cover; cook over medium-low heat 15 to 20 minutes, stirring sauce and turning meatballs occasionally, until meatballs are thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center.
- Meanwhile, cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Serve meatballs over pasta. Top each serving with additional Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 460, Total Fat 12g, Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 950mg; Total Carbohydrate 54g, Dietary Fiber 10g, Sugars 9g, Protein 33g
Dear IDEA Fitness Community, IDEA Health & Fitness Association’s staff and members are united in opposing prejudice, bigotry and racism. We denounce all acts and intents associated with these affronts to…
Updated: 4/14/2020 It is with a very heavy heart that we must cancel the 2020 IDEA World Convention, July 8-12, in Anaheim, CA. Despite making…
Editor in Chief: Sandy Todd Webster Executive Managing Editor: Katherine Watson Executive Editor: Joy Keller Production Editor: Judy Minich Publications Assistant: Sarah Kolvas Art Director:...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.