Enhance Your Career, Improve Your Life
The IDEA® World Convention takes over Los Angeles, July 13-17, 2016.
There are so many reasons to attend the IDEA World Convention! This is your opportunity to
- choose from more than 370 educational sessions that provide the strategies, insights and guidance you need to build
a stronger career;
- learn from more than 200 of the most experienced and
knowledgeable fitness industry thought leaders;
- explore the tools, programs, trends and products from 300 exhibitors at the IDEA World Fitness & Nutrition Expo; and
- earn up to 32 CECs to fulfill your certification requirements.
Perhaps above all, though, this one-of-a-kind fitness event provides you the perfect occasion to reconnect with your global fitness community and reignite your passion to build a more powerful industry and profession. This July, join the more than 14,000 professionals from 60 countries who will converge at L.A. LIVE with one shared mission: to inspire the world to greater fitness, health and wellness.
“IDEA World offers so much to attendees, from innovative workouts to cutting-edge research and programming to networking with leaders and fellow fit pros,” says Kara Mohr, PhD, co-owner of Mohr Results in Louisville, Kentucky. “It is a shot in the arm of inspiration, motivation and celebration of all the powerful and cool ways we get to influence people’s lives for the better, doing what we love to do! IDEA World has certainly impacted my career. It was one of the first conferences I attended as a group fitness instructor and was a professional highlight for me when I first presented at World in 2006 after completing my PhD. I come away with so much knowledge and passion every time I attend a World conference.”
EXPLORE YOUR NICHE
Many fitness business experts insist that one of the cornerstones of lasting career success is understanding exactly which people you are best suited to serve.
Mark Fisher, owner of Mark Fisher Fitness in New York, has developed a wildly successful studio because he extended significant effort to identify the type of person he inspires most.
“Finding your niche is absolutely key because it allows you to get laser-specific about everything from your marketing to the services you offer,” advises Fisher, who will give a presentation on this topic at the first-ever IDEA World Club & Studio Summit. “Once you know exactly who you’re looking to serve, you save lots of time, energy and money by catering to them.”
What better place to discover your niche and expand your knowledge of the varied groups and individuals who need your guidance than at IDEA World?
Here is a sampling of session topics geared to specific populations:
- Functional Power Training for Older Clients, by FAI
- Fitness Over 50—Getting “Restarted”
- Using Function to Avoid Dysfunction in Aging
- The Science of Anti-Aging
- Solutions for Training Postpregnancy Clients
- Girls to Grandmas: Inspiring Wellness Throughout the
Female Lifecycle, by Pelvic Solutions LLC
- TRX® for Pre- and Postnatal
Kids and Teens
- BOSU®: Sport Kids
- 10 Simple Youth Fitness Assessment Solutions
- Posture Reeducation for Performance Athletes and Active Adults
- Faster, Higher, Stronger—Sleep and Athletic Performance
Overweight and People With Obesity
- Help Your Overweight Clients—Be a Part of the Solution!
- The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail
THE IDEA WORLD
FITNESS & NUTRITION EXPO
The excitement doesn’t stop when you leave the session rooms. The IDEA World Fitness & Nutrition Expo is your one-stop shopping hub for everything fresh and trending in the industry. The Expo hall is also home to can’t-miss special events, competitions and more.
- Experience and sample products, programs, equipment
and trends from 300 fitness, wellness, apparel and nutrition
- Learn about the most innovative food and activity trackers,
apps, client programs and more. There’s no denying that fitness technology is hot and getting hotter!
- Visit the Nutrition Pavilion to enjoy product samples, cooking demonstrations and nutrition education from more than 75 companies that are improving the world’s health through food. The pavilion is your mecca for everything food-related.
- Stop by the IDEA World eXertainment Stage, where energy will be at an all-time high. Try out some of the latest exercise programs and trends, and participate in demonstrations from your favorite fitness celebrities, like Jillian Michaels and Cassey Ho.
- Challenge your fitness skills and your mettle with a pulse-pounding array of competitions taking place throughout the fitness conference in the IDEA World Challenge Arena, fueled by Gatorade® and Propel®:
- Go for gold—and prizes—during a variety of grueling challenges at the IDEA Summer Games, powered by
- Test your limits with the EPIC Series Challenge—
the first-ever functional obstacle course that features
more than a dozen fitness challenges.
- Work alongside your peers as you muscle your way
through the intense Body Weight Match-Up workout.
BUILD A WORLD-CLASS CLUB OR STUDIO
For the first time in its history, IDEA World is hosting an entire fitness event-within-the-event dedicated to those intent on creating a top-notch fitness facility. The brand-new, 4-day IDEA World Club & Studio Summit offers attendees the opportunity to learn from 20 of the most innovative experts in the field and find out just what it takes to build attention-grabbing brands and businesses.
For example, presenter Lewis Howes, founder of the School of Greatness, believes the secret to success is more than a superior skill set. “You can be the smartest person in your industry, but if you don’t have a clear vision of what you want to create or the hustle to make it happen, your talents go to waste,” he says. “Learning how to harness your passion into focused, productive goals is essential to creating powerful fitness brands.”
Howes will distill the strategies that took him from sleeping on his sister’s couch to running a seven-figure company. “I am going to peel back the covers on what it takes to build a successful and meaningful brand around what you’re passionate about, no matter the obstacles,” he says. “Whether you’re just starting out in your business idea or you’re a successful entrepreneur already,
setting and achieving powerful goals is essential to greatness. I’ll break down what it takes to do this and how focus, hustle and passion can all work together to support you.”
Fellow presenter Susan Fowler, author of Why Motivating People Doesn’t Work . . . and What Does (Berrett-Koehler 2014), will explain how traditional methods of encouraging employees to boost productivity fall flat.
“If a club’s primary goal is to sign up members who don’t renew or pressure salespeople to make as much money as possible now, then offering pressure-inducing deals to potential members and incentivizing salespeople might work,” she notes. “But compelling research shows that these traditional tactics definitely don’t work in the long term and are most likely undermining short-term results as well.”
Once she’s dismantled common motivational tactics, Fowler will explain the strategies that do work so that your club or studio can reap maximum rewards.
Check out the stellar lineup of powerful and informative sessions available during the IDEA World Club & Studio Summit:
- LIVING the Success Principles—How to Get From Where You Are to Where You Want to Be, with Jack Canfield, MS
- Seven-Figure Laws of Leadership, with Ryan Lee
- Build Your Dream: Create Time and Financial Freedom,
with Rick Mayo
- Confidence Sells: Increase PT Sales and Retain Top Trainers,
with Trish Blackwell
- Know Your Niche: You Can’t Have a Culture Without a Cult, with Mark Fisher
- Why Motivating People Doesn’t Work, with Susan Fowler
- The School of Greatness—Hustle, Passion, Focus and Vision,
with Lewis Howes
- Creating Your Purpose and Legacy—How to Live a Life Worth Telling a Story About! with Todd Durkin, MA
- LEADERSHIP at All Levels—What It Takes to Be Great in Business and in Life, with Todd Durkin, MA
- Strengthen Your Club With Multiple Revenue Streams, with Ashley Selman
- High-Performance Tips: Dominate Business and Life, with Randy Hetrick
- Marketing Magic: Make Your Members the Heroes, with Trina Gray
- Market to the Masses and Change Millions of Lives, Panel,
with Chris Freytag, Cathe Friedrich and Natalie Jill
- FIX Your Life With Passion and Persistence, with Autumn
- Become the Expert and Explode Your Brand, with Sara
This year’s fitness event promises a bevy of content carefully selected to ensure that you receive what you need to strengthen your business, effect positive change within your community and live your best life.
“My goal is to help fitness pros learn how to work smarter,” says IDEA presenter Amy Dixon, owner of Amy Dixon Fitness and 2015 IDEA Fitness Instructor of the Year. “My sessions include content and systems that show instructors and trainers how to accomplish more in less time. Attendees will also discover new twists on current trends and creative ways to apply the wide range of information they acquire at IDEA World. My top goal is to deliver usable takeaways—it’s all about real-life application.”
Dixon will address ways to beat client boredom and mix up conditioning combos, plus the importance of endurance-based training and more.
Here are other hot topics sure to whet your appetite for this year’s fitness event:
- Do your female clients struggle with body composition and health? Perhaps it’s time to take a deeper look beneath the surface, says Sara Gottfried, MD, New York Times best-selling author of The Hormone Reset Diet (2015 HarperOne). In her session “Balance Your Hormones With Your Fork and Gym,” Gottfried will explain the role of key hormones for women and how to screen for imbalances. Attendees will “dis- cover how food and exercise impact hormones and metabolism, and how to guide people toward natural hormone reset,” she says.
- Jenna Wolfe, the Today show’s first-ever lifestyle and fitness correspondent and author of Thinner in 30 (Grand Central 2015), will put you through your paces during her “Total Body Boot Camp” session. “No stops, no mercy (unless you need mercy), no equipment,” she warns. “Just you. Combine strength training, cardio, flexibility and core work for a powerful and shredding workout.”
- The emphasis on mindset and behavior change continues to
gain momentum in the fitness and wellness world. As part of the first-ever IDEA Nutrition & Behavior Change Summit, Mohr aims to tackle the challenge of keeping clients on track during the time spent without your supervision.
“Keeping clients engaged and excited in their workouts is an important part of our jobs as health and fitness professionals,” she notes. “And yet, what’s happening in the other 23 hours when they are away from us is what can really determine client success. This session will cover the research on mindset and motivation, and offer strategies and tools to help clients make fitness a consistent part of their lifestyle.”
- Self-limiting beliefs are what restrict our success and the successes of our clients, says Todd Durkin, MA, owner of Fitness Quest 10 in San Diego. In “Creating Your Purpose and Legacy— How to Live a Life Worth Telling a Story About!” Durkin plans to shatter those beliefs in a way he’s never done before.
- “I’m in a place in my life where I have never gone this deep personally and professionally,” admits the IDEA presenter. “And I plan to share all of it.” Be warned: Attendees should be prepared to go deep with him. “I will challenge people to be better, to do more, and ultimately to live their deepest purpose and create their long-lasting legacy in life. I want to challenge them to overcome limiting beliefs and have the courage to dream big and take action to be big.”
For more information, see www.ideafit.com/world.
Dear IDEA Fitness Community, IDEA Health & Fitness Association’s staff and members are united in opposing prejudice, bigotry and racism. We denounce all acts and intents associated with these affronts to…
Updated: 4/14/2020 It is with a very heavy heart that we must cancel the 2020 IDEA World Convention, July 8-12, in Anaheim, CA. Despite making…
Editor in Chief: Sandy Todd Webster Executive Managing Editor: Katherine Watson Executive Editor: Joy Keller Production Editor: Judy Minich Publications Assistant: Sarah Kolvas Art Director:...