The Cooper Fitness Center Teen Fitness Clinic was specifically geared for young adults ages 13 to 16.
The first 30 minutes of this class was devoted to important nutrition and exercise tips. This nutrition mini lecture was interactive where participants shared their knowledge and discussed ways to improve their current behaviors. Participants were then given assignments for each upcoming class.
The second part of the class (60 minutes) was devoted to a high-energy workout that emphasized cardiovascular exercise and various modes of resistance training. Each workout was organized in a circuit format. Fun exercise tools were introduced for each class, including FitBALLÔäó, Bosu®, resistant bands, free-motion cables and medicine balls, to name a few. The circuit class followed a 2:1 ratio (cardiovascular/resistance), including a group warm-up, cool-down and flexibility exercises. Please, see below for a few examples of the circuit class.
Total class time was 1.5 hours: 30 minutes nutrition introduction and 60 minutes high-energy workout.
Warm-Up:Group (5 to 8 minutes)
Station I: Body squat jump with medicine ball; hopscotch through hoops (2x)
Station II: Row w/ side step; jump rope
Station III: Squat throw medicine ball with chest press; Bosu side steps
Station IV: Reebok® Core Boards: Lunge with bicep curls; high knee and booty kick
Station V: Ankle band shuffle; jog with high knees
Core Exercises: Trunk: Group
Flexibility: Static stretches
Station I: Side step with reach; Bosu jump to target
Station II: Shuttle boxing; push-up jump with Bosu
Station III: Bosu bridge; jumping jacks
Station IV: Swimming with Bosu; quick feet with throw to partner
Station V: High knees and booty kick fast (2x)
Workout III: Outdoors
- Indian Run in Pairs: Two lines are formed. Each front line pair of runners leads his/her line or group for 30 seconds. The instructor provides a warning signal where each participant who is in the back of the line runs to the front. Each pair of runners (who are positioned in the back) moves up to the front every 30 seconds until all participants have completed at least 1 round.
- Wheelbarrow Racing: Partner A holds Partner B’s feet/lower legs. Partner B travels a specified distance on his/her hands. The participants are divided into two groups, with each pair from each group racing each other in a relay format.
- Prisoner Squat: Perform a “squat” exercise with hands clasped behind the neck.
- Spider Crawl: Two lines are formed. One participant from each line crawls across the room (i.e., start position on all fours; as the right arm reaches forward, the left knee/hip flexes toward the middle and vice-versa). The groups race each other in a relay format.
- Push-Ups With Jump: Perform a push-up followed by a jump, reaching arms overhead.
- Chariot Run with Band: With a resistance band around the ankles, participants run forward, backward and side shuffle.
- Push/Pull With Stability Ball: Place forearms on a stability ball while kneeling. Push the ball forward keeping trunk in a stable position and pull the ball to the starting position (as if performing a kneeling lat pull).
- Stability Ball Punches: Partner A holds the stability ball at chest level in a plank position. Partner B punches or taps the ball while Partner A holds the position.
- Running Patterns: Different running patterns through obstacles. For example, participants will run through a pre-set obstacle course (with cones or steps) in a variety of directions (front, back, sideways).
- Leap Frog: Participant perform a deep squat followed by a reach/jump forward as if jumping like a frog.
Each workout was performed twice during the week allowing for participants to improve their technique and familiarity with the activities.
Overall, we had a 90% plus retention rate/participation.
Dear IDEA Fitness Community, IDEA Health & Fitness Association’s staff and members are united in opposing prejudice, bigotry and racism. We denounce all acts and intents associated with these affronts to…
Updated: 4/14/2020 It is with a very heavy heart that we must cancel the 2020 IDEA World Convention, July 8-12, in Anaheim, CA. Despite making…
Editor in Chief: Sandy Todd Webster Executive Managing Editor: Katherine Watson Executive Editor: Joy Keller Production Editor: Judy Minich Publications Assistant: Sarah Kolvas Art Director:...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.