Impress and amaze your friends and colleagues with these 10 fascinating “brain facts”!
1. The average brain, which weighs about 3 pounds, has approximately 100 billion neurons.
2. There are about 100,000 miles of blood vessels in the brain.
3. You continue to make new neurons throughout life as long as you use your brain in mental activities.
4. The brain uses about 20% of the total oxygen of the body at rest.
5. Excessive stress can alter brain cells, structure and function.
6. You can’t tickle yourself because the brain can distinguish between unexpected touch and your own.
7. While awake, your brain generates 10–23 watts of power—or enough energy to power a light bulb.
8. Every time you blink, the brain “kicks in” to keeps things illuminated so the world doesn’t go dark during the blink (which happens about 20,000 times a day).
9. The average number of thoughts you experience each day is about 70,000.
10. The brain is 75% water.
Source: Nursing Central Assistant.
Dear IDEA Fitness Community, IDEA Health & Fitness Association’s staff and members are united in opposing prejudice, bigotry and racism. We denounce all acts and intents associated with these affronts to…
Updated: 4/14/2020 It is with a very heavy heart that we must cancel the 2020 IDEA World Convention, July 8-12, in Anaheim, CA. Despite making…
Editor in Chief: Sandy Todd Webster Executive Managing Editor: Katherine Watson Executive Editor: Joy Keller Production Editor: Judy Minich Publications Assistant: Sarah Kolvas Art Director:...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.