If you think you know obese clients, think again. We talked to obese (and formerly obese) consumers—and the fitness pros who work with them—to find out how they feel, what they think of the fitness industry and how we can better help them become healthy and vibrant. Here are some things that they would like fitness professionals to know:
- “I am not lazy.”
- “I don’t necessarily want or need to lose as much weight as you think I do. My biomarkers are good.”
- “I don’t have access to the same moisture-wicking clothes thin people do, and that can make working out more difficult for me, owing to chafing and lack of comfort.”
- “Don’t presume I don’t know how to eat correctly.”
- “My body is hard to carry around.”
- “Please give me time to do what you ask.”
- “It’s very hard to be in social situations when you’re used to being made fun of on a regular basis.”
- “Please don’t talk negatively about your own body. It makes me feel worse.”
To read the full article featured in the 2013 IDEA Fitness Journal click here.
In studying physical activity’s effect on depression, researchers from Ruhr-University Bochum in Germany found that exercise simultaneously lifts mood and…
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.