Personal trainer Joe Pawlenty’s impression of the first IDEA World Fitness Convention he attended is seared in his memory: “There was tons of energy—energy was blowing the roof off the building. You can’t help but be as fired up as everyone around you!”
Aside from the crackle of excitement, Pawlenty says what he liked most about the event was the chance to see and experience the fitness industry beyond his daily work environment. “You get used to the same ways of doing things, and you can get a little closed-minded. At the convention, I saw all of these new approaches to solving the challenges our clients bring to us every day. It gave me a lot more options to tackle situations.”
For example, Pawlenty took an arsenal of new boot camp and Battling Ropes® techniques back to the Life Time Fitness club in Plymouth, Minnesota, where he works. Since attending IDEA World, his job has expanded from group training coordinator to personal training manager. “Convention education and the new ideas you take home with you help your career—they keep you and your staff fresh—and bring in new clients to meet revenue goals.”
Sandra Schaad, MA, Pilates and fitness coach in San Jose, California, also loves “the energy and excitement that pulsates 4 days straight at IDEA World Fitness! Attending sets me apart from the competition, benefits my clients and reminds me why I chose the fitness field in the first place.”
Past IDEA World Fitness Convention attendees are enthusiastic about the many ways the event delivered a strong return on their investment. Attending helped them to reach new markets; add revenue streams; make more effective use of social media and technology; build valuable professional networks; expand their skill sets; and stay current on new trends and research.
Melanie McLaren, owner of Studio Phyzz in Napa, California, is unequivocal about her choice to attend: “IDEA World is the one to be at. It’s a ‘who’s who’ in the fitness industry; it predicts the trends for the coming year; and it never disappoints. The plethora of ideas I implemented in just 3 days back home made it well worth the investment to attend.”
The rapidly approaching 2014 IDEA World Fitness Convention is the largest event of its kind in the industry, hosting a global community of 12,000 personal trainers, group fitness instructors, mind-body professionals, owners and managers from more than 60 countries. The industry’s most respected educators will present over 360 sessions on the widest range of health, fitness and wellness topics available anywhere.
At the center of the high-energy event is the IDEA World Fitness & Nutrition Expo, where attendees can check out more than 450 booths representing the most relevant new fitness, apparel, wellness, technology and nutrition companies in the world. Many exhibitors debut brand-new products and programs in the Expo Hall, and attendees are the first to see top trends on the health and fitness horizon.
A Sizzling Line-Up
This year’s keynote speaker will be one-of-a-kind athlete Diana Nyad, who completed her historic Cuba-to-Florida swim last year. She will share her inspiring story of courage and determination as she accepts the 2014 IDEA Jack LaLanne Award during the Opening Ceremonies.
Also at the Opening Ceremonies, presentation of the IDEA World Fitness Awards—the “Academy Awards® of Fitness”—will showcase the motivating paths of the IDEA Program Director of the Year, IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year and IDEA Group Fitness Instructor of the Year for 2014. Award winners will receive a prize package sponsored by SPRI®.
This year’s groundbreaking convention has a long list of new
features exclusive to IDEA:
- The IDEA World Showcase Room will feature Jillian Michaels, Tony Horton, Tara Stiles, Cassey Ho and other fitness celebrities in high-voltage, concert-style workouts.
- Inner IDEA® is partnering with Hay House Publishing to offer Transformation Saturday, an opportunity to hear keynote presentations from four best-selling authors: Anita Moorjani, Cheryl Richardson, Nick Ortner and Tara Stiles.
- Attendees can purchase discount tickets for Disneyland and California Adventure, and can sign up for special sessions offering backcountry trail hiking and SkyRobics fun at an all-trampoline court.
- In “Hell’s Studio—Group Fitness Impossible,” an elite industry panel will candidly share personal views and predictions on the rapidly changing role of group fitness.
- Exciting attendee competitions will be everywhere. They’ll include the first-ever IDEA World Fitness Summer Games and the popular IDEA Inspiration Medal challenges, which are open to all attendees. This year’s Inspiration Medal prizes include a Schwinn® AC Performance Plus bike with the MPower™ Echelon Console and a week for two at the world-famous spa and resort, Rancho La Puerta.
The Biggest Education Program in Fitness
At the convention, attendees earn the benefits of the broadest educational offering in the industry, with a diverse curriculum that covers the newest trends and topics for personal trainers, group exercise instructors, mind-body professionals, owners, program directors and managers.
Here are just some of the topics:
- Boomers/Older Adults
- Training Athletes
- Small-Group and Partner Training
- Suspension Exercise
- Boot Camps, Circuits and Intervals
- Metabolic Training
- Group Strength
- Kickboxing and Martial Arts
- Dance-Inspired Programs
- Step Training
- Hiring and Employee Retention
- New Revenue Strategies
- Team Building, Culture and Leadership
- Indoor Cycling and Kranking®
- TRX® Suspension and RIP™ Training
- Recovery and Metabolism
- Weight Loss and Healthy Eating Strategies
- Fusion, Barre and Pilates
- Yoga and Meditation
- Stress-Free Living, Transformation, Success Principles
- Client Retention Tools, Technology Integration and Social Media
For more information on available sessions, see www.ideafit.com/world.