Group fitness participants can’t seem to get enough of creative core and cardiovascular exercises. If you need innovative ideas to challenge your students, this class is for you! Target core muscles while introducing unique variations of familiar moves. Round out the routine by torching calories with high-intensity interval training exercises.
Creative Cardio and Core Details
GOAL/EMPHASIS: core strengthening and HIIT
TIME: approximately 60 minutes
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: steps (placed vertically) and medicine balls (enough for each participant)
MUSIC: 130 beats per minute
- Select core exercises that increase muscular endurance, strength and power, while stabilizing the spine.
- Perform some exercises in an upright, weight-bearing position to offer a more functional approach to core strengthening.
- Choose exercises that work in all planes of motion.
- Include challenging high-intensity intervals that use repeated bouts of short-duration anaerobic activity alternating with periods of lower intensity (active recovery).
- Use the rating of perceived exertion scale to monitor intensity.
- Offer options to progress and regress exercises as needed.
Use the following high-intensity intervals:
- Burst: Choose an exercise in the aerobic training zone and then increase intensity to anaerobic twice during
the 2-minute set.
- Pyramid: Perform an exercise at a moderate intensity for 40 seconds and gradually build intensity every 40 seconds, two additional times.
- Speed play: Select an exercise, and offer options for increasing and decreasing intensity in an unstructured (unpredictable) way for 2 minutes.
Warm-Up (5 minutes)
The warm-up includes basic movements that increase heart rate and body temperature. Perform the warm-up in a circle, around the periphery of the room, to create a feeling of community and camaraderie. Complete the following exercises for about 1 minute each:
- Jog clockwise in circle.
- Face center of room and squat, single tempo.
- Jog in counterclockwise circle.
- Do squat thrusts facing center of room.
- Do push-ups from knees, facing center of room.
Work Phase (50 minutes)
Perform cardiovascular conditioning exercises for about 2 minutes, and then complete 16 repetitions of each core move. Do each round twice, and then move on to the next one (switch sides for unilateral moves or change lead leg). Include at least 30 seconds of rest between rounds.
Cardio: Burst Interval
- Stand on top of bench and straddle down, right-leg lead.
- Transition to plyometric straddle burst (hop down from bench and then hop back to top).
- Chop, rotating R. Switch sides.
- Land softly on plyometric jumps.
- When doing squat with rotation, keep hips facing forward as torso rotates.
- Instead of hopping with straddle, simply squat lower to increase intensity.
- Do squat with chop without medicine ball.
Cardio: Pyramid Interval
- Start with lateral leap side to side, 40 seconds.
- Add lateral leap with jumping jack at each end, 40 seconds.
- Add lateral leap with air jack at each end, 40 seconds.
- Holding medicine ball, balance on R leg. Hinge at hips to put ball on bench, and then stand. Hinge at hips to pick up ball, and stand again. Switch sides.
- Land softly when leaping.
- Maintain neutral spine while hinging at hips.
- Step-touch instead of leaping.
- Do core exercise without medicine ball (simply tap floor with hand).
Cardio: Speed Play
- Jog with high knees in place, cuing variable intensity for 2 minutes.
- Squat thrust to one-legged plank, hop R leg in, and stand (both legs). Switch sides.
- Maintain core bracing while jogging.
- Maintain neutral spine during plank.
- Do alternating high knee lifts instead of jogging.
- Do squat thrust with both legs.
Cardio: Burst Interval
- Squat, one foot on bench, one foot on floor, and then stand on top of bench. Repeat on other side.
- Burst: Add power hop over bench.
- Do single-leg dead lift with medicine ball (balancing on R leg, reach ball forward while hinging from hips, rear leg extended). Switch sides.
- Press heels into floor while squatting.
- Maintain neutral spine on dead lift.
- Instead of hopping over bench, squat lower.
- Do dead lift with both feet on floor.
Cardio: Pyramid Interval
- Squat to calf raise, reaching arms overhead, 40 seconds.
- Squat to hop, 40 seconds.
- Squat to tuck jump, 40 seconds.
- Hold medicine ball and do stationary lunge with chop, rotating R. Switch sides.
- Land softly when hopping.
- Brace core when chopping.
- Continue with calf raise instead of hopping.
- Squat and chop without medicine ball.
Cool-Down and Stretch (5 minutes)
Complete the following stretches for about 30 seconds each:
- Standing forward fold: Hinge from hips and bring fingertips to knees, shins or floor (bend knees slightly, if necessary). Relax completely.
- Standing quadriceps stretch: Balance on R leg and reach for L ankle; repeat other side.
- Standing calf stretch: With staggered stance, bend front knee and push rear heel down; repeat other side.
- Standing cat-cow stretch: Bend knees, place hands on thighs, flex and extend spine.