After Sam Sahagun embraced an exercise program and lost 55 pounds, he decided he wanted to pay it forward by helping other people with their fitness journeys. As a fairly new fitness pro, he enjoys using the free Client Challenges tool that is accessible through IDEA FitnessConnect, the largest directory of fitness professionals, connecting more than 16 million consumers to more than 250,000 fitness professionals online at www.ideafit.com.
Below he shares his thoughts on how this tool helps him run challenges to inspire his clients.
1. What is your current position? “I’m still a little guppy in the expansive ocean of the fitness industry,” says Sahagun. He is currently a Team Beachbody® coach and is getting certified in other exercise methods.
2. Have you ever done challenges with your clients prior to using the IDEA FitnessConnect Client Challenges tool? “Yes, but nothing as focused as what I’m doing now with this tool,” he explains. His previous challenges centered around helping clients log workouts and post results.
3. Do you think the IDEA Client Challenges tool can help your clients with short- and/or long-term goals? “Yes! It’s definitely a game changer!” he says. “It makes working out fun and keeps exercise fresh. I’ve found that clients who stay active in the challenges really enjoy them. I think compounding some short-term challenges over a longer time period should definitely help my clients reach their fitness goals.”
4. What kinds of challenges do you issue via the IDEA Client Challenges tool? “In one challenge I asked clients to photograph every meal they ate,” he says. “Taking these pictures challenged them to log their meals so they could look back on what they ate. The challenge was mainly about holding them accountable for what they were eating.” In another challenge, “Make August Sweaty,” Sahagun asked clients to post photos and videos of themselves working up a sweat.
5. Should you provide “rewards” for completing challenges? “Adding rewards provides some extra motivation, but I don’t plan on offering them all the time,” he says. “I don’t want my clients to depend on a prize to continue working toward their fitness goals. I want them to be internally motivated.”
6. How does using the Client Challenges tool help you? “The challenges add another dimension to my business,” he says. “You can access this from your iPhone or mobile Web browser. I also like the customization available for your challenge pages. Facebook groups are cool, but I like the format of the IDEA tool. Also, some of my clients refuse to join Facebook, and they don’t need to do so to participate in these challenges.”
Note: You can find the Client Challenges tool by going to the “Quick Links” section of your IDEA FitnessConnect profile.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with our latest news and products.