How to Find Your Epic
Everything you need to take your career from good to great will be at the IDEA® World Convention in San Diego, June 27-July 1.
The fitness industry is a rewarding and inspiring place to be. However, it’s not without its challenges, and getting ahead with passion alone can be difficult. The most successful fit pros know that to build an epic life and career, they must invest in education and learn from those who’ve been there and done it.
This summer, thousands of industry professionals from all corners of the globe will descend on San Diego, America’s Finest City, and head for the IDEA World Convention with one primary goal in mind: to find their “epic.” Will you join them on this search for greatness?
Epic Experiences Abound
More than 350 high-quality education sessions, endless networking opportunities and inspiring experiences are around every corner at IDEA World. Here’s a sampling of what you can expect from this year’s event:
Spark Your Passion at the Opening Ceremonies, Sponsored by Technogym®
“SHIFT HAPPENS” keynote. British psychologist and best-selling author Robert Holden, PhD, wants you to live an inspired life by leveraging personal alchemy and inner transformation. He’ll show you how to do just that in his invigorating keynote presentation, part of this year’s exciting opening ceremonies.
Fitness inspirations take center stage. Powerhouse fitness couple and stars of ABC’s Extreme Weight Loss Heidi and Chris Powell will receive the 2018 IDEA Jack LaLanne Award, presented by Elaine LaLanne. IDEA will also announce the recipients of this year’s Personal Trainer of the Year, Fitness Instructor of the Year and Fitness Leader of the Year Awards.
Events Within the Event
Find New Ways to Succeed in the Business of Fitness
The IDEA World Club & Studio Summit brings together the business masters of the fitness industry, whose primary purpose at this event will be to share the plans, skills and insights that propelled them to the top of the industry.
“[The presenters] are all current club and studio operators who are having big success and practicing what they preach,” says Ashley Selman, MA, owner of Evolution Trainers in Mountain View, California, and a summit presenter herself. “The topics focus on the specific needs of club and studio operators and owners so that attendees will walk away with practical tools and action steps they can apply directly to their business when they get home.”
Selman will discuss personal time-management strategies, ways to attract high-level talent, proven profit-boosting systems and more.
Travis Barnes, Elmira, New York–based CEO of Journey Fitness, says, “If you miss the Club & Studio Summit, you will miss out on the best investment of your life. Investments in yourself have been shown to pay 30-to-1 dividends.”
Barnes will offer tried-and-true tips on how to leverage challenge to build a stronger business.
“Believe me, I know what it means to have your dreams tested,” he says. “I also know what it means to be tested by opportunities. In my lecture, you will learn to define your life’s vision, and I will share strategies with you to test your opportunities and see which ones are right for you.”
You can fill your gym with fancy gadgets and gizmos, but that will take you only so far, says presenter Jack Wheeler, founder and CEO of 360 Fitness in Alberta, Canada. The real foundation of a successful business, says Wheeler, is education.
“Coming to the Club & Studio Summit will give you time and energy to focus on the big picture, learn from your peers, and connect with the movers and shakers in the game.”
He adds, “In my session, you’ll learn how to get the best bang for your marketing buck, from identifying exactly who your target market is to knowing how the heck to reach out to [those people]. If your marketing is giving a clear and concise message to a certain person, it won’t take long for you to be known as the expert in your community.”
Here’s more of what you can find at the IDEA World Club & Studio Summit:
- GROW Your Fitness Business With a Playbook of Systems with Travis Barnes
- EARN More, Worry Less with Rachel Cosgrove
- WIN With the Habits of Ultra-High Performers with Chantal Brodrick
- BUILD Your Team From the Ground Up with Chris Stevenson
- RUN Your Business Like a Smooth Operator with Ashley Selman, MA
- GENERATE Buzz With Simple Marketing with Jack Wheeler
- REACH More Clients: Be Loud and Proud with Michael Piercy, MS
- OWN Your Market: Build a Legacy Business with Greg Justice, MA
- SELL: More Vision and Be a Rainmaker in Your Business with Ashley Selman, MA, Travis Barnes and Mark Fisher (Panel)
- GROW: Business Coaching Breakout Session with Todd Durkin, MA, Trina Gray and Mark Fisher
- ACT: Go Home With a Plan with Todd Durkin, MA, and Trina Gray
LEAD: Be the Leader Your Business Deserves with Cher Harris, MS
Explore Up-to-Date Nutrition and Behavior Change Research and Tactics
Since its inception in 2016, the IDEA World Nutrition & Behavior Change Summit has become the go-to event for health and fitness pros who are looking to boost their clients’ long-term success. This is your exclusive chance to learn new tools, strategies and application plans from the brightest nutrition and behavior change experts and researchers.
Les Mills LIVE
In 2018, world-renowned group fitness programming creator Les Mills brings its signature event, Les Mills LIVE, featuring the best presenters from across the globe, to IDEA World for the first time. Attendees will experience high-octane, inspiring classes led by passionate and motivating presenters. This is a fitness party you won’t want to miss!
Upgrade to the All-Access Pass and you’ll have the once-in-a-lifetime chance to join a BODYCOMBAT™ workout held on the historic USS Midway aircraft carrier and led by famed international presenter and co-director of the program, Rachael Newsham.
New! ACE Mover Academy
Another new feature for 2018: IDEA World will include an ACE faculty–led session in each time block. This series, called the ACE Mover Academy, was developed to equip attendees with expert guidance on how to coach more people toward sustainable and lasting healthy behavior change.
“The ACE Mover Academy will host high-energy, interactive and thought-provoking education sessions delivered by both ACE experts and trusted partners,” says Carolann Dekker, chief marketing officer at ACE. “Attendees will gain advanced knowledge in a variety of topics, ranging from client-centric program design and behavior change to recovery, functional balance, health coaching and nutrition. We designed the curriculum to be applicable in any modality and believe this approach will provide industry professionals with the tools they need to support their clients.”
Expansive Learning Opportunities
Pre- and postconference sessions offer intensive education on the topics that matter most. Attendees walk away with in-depth knowledge and a certificate of completion. (For more information, see ideafit.com/world.)
Preconferences: Wednesday, June 27
- Boot Camp Instructor Certification With SGT KEN® workshop with Sgt. Ken
- Schwinn® Cycling: Indoor Instructor Certification workshop with Amy Dixon and Jeffrey Scott
- Todd Durkin’s 1-Day Mentorship lecture/experience with Todd Durkin, MA
- BOSU®: Mind-Body Certification workshop with Helen Vanderburg
- Functional Aging Specialist Certification workshop with Cody Sipe, PhD
- Precision Nutrition: The Art and Science of Nutrition Coaching lecture with Brian St. Pierre, MS, RD
- ACE Behavior Change in Practice: Hands-On Skills for Health Coaches and Exercise Professionals workshop with Jacque Crockford, MS
- Unlock Functional Mobility With FMS Essentials workshop with Diane Vives, MS
- AFAA Teaching Techniques: Create a Cutting-Edge Coaching Experience workshop with Angie Miller, MS
- NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist Fundamentals workshop with Marty Miller, DHSc
- Women’s LeadHER Conference lecture with Lisa Druxman MA, Trina Gray, Petra Kolber and Tatiana Kolovou, MBA, hosted by Shannon Fable
- STOTT PILATES® Foam Roller™ Plus, Levels 1 & 2 workshop with Merrithew™ Faculty
- TRX® Duo Trainer: Hacking Body-Weight Strength workshop with Chris Frankel, MS, and Kelly Starrett, DPT
Postconferences: Sunday, July 1
- STRONG by Zumba®: Instructor Training workshop with Abraham Hernandez
- Designing the Most Result-Producing Resistance Training Programs lecture with Charles R. Poliquin
- Stages® Cycling: The Instructor Essentials Certification workshop with Pam Benchley and Emma Masters
For more information, see ideafit.com/world.