You’ve got the passion to succeed in fitness—now you can fuel passion with new energy, ideas, skills, connections and motivators at the action-packed 2014 IDEA World Fitness Convention in Anaheim, California, August 13–17.
The IDEA World Fitness Convention could well be the healthiest place on earth this summer with 10,000 personal trainers, group fitness instructors, mind-body professionals, and fitness facility owners and managers from more than 60 countries coming together to experience the best education and top new trends in the industry.
With over 360 educational sessions on the widest range of health, fitness and wellness topics available anywhere, IDEA World Fitness is set to be the industry event of 2014. Courses are taught by the most well-respected experts in the field, and the convention offers a unique opportunity to get to know leaders and representatives from the finest fitness and wellness brands in the world.
Featuring World Record–Setting Athlete Diana Nyad
Few people know more about passion and commitment than 2014 IDEA World Fitness Convention keynote speaker and long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad, who has been called “the toughest athlete in the world” and who completed her historic Cuba-to-Florida swim last year with the mantra, “Find a way.” Nyad will share her harrowing and remarkable story as she accepts the 2014 IDEA Jack LaLanne Award, presented by Elaine LaLanne at the Opening Ceremonies.
The Opening Ceremonies will also feature the legendary 2007 IDEA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient, Augie Nieto, founder and retired chief executive of Life Fitness and chairman of Octane® Fitness. Nieto will share his courageous journey to find a cure for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), the disease he was diagnosed with in 2005.
In 2014, by popular demand, the IDEA awards—the “Academy Awards of Fitness”!—are returning to the Opening Ceremonies. You’ll learn from the inspiring career paths of the 2014 IDEA Program Director of the Year, IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year and IDEA Group Fitness Instructor of the Year.
A Whole New Experience for 2014
Brand-new sessions, presenters, equipment, activities and entertainment will be shaking things up this year for an awesome IDEA World Fitness experience, featuring some radically different opportunities for you to accelerate your professional and personal success:
- For the first time, IDEA World Fitness is collaborating with Yoga Journal to bring you the preconference Yoga Journal LIVE! event, which will help you refine and expand your yoga practice or teaching. See www.ideafit.com/world for more details.
- If you are a health and fitness blogger (or would like to be), you’ll love the all-new IDEA World Fitness BlogFest, where you can get together with other health and fitness bloggers to trade tips, share support and learn how to make your blog into a moneymaking brand.
- The first-ever IDEA Summer Games, brought to you by Les Mills, will let you battle it out on the outdoor Grand Plaza for gold, silver or bronze medals. Scheduled competitions include Runner’s Revenge; Strength and Conditioning Match-Up; Speed, Agility and Quickness Challenge; and the Les Mills GRITTM Games Competition.
- For the first time, Inner IDEA® is partnering with Hay House Publishing to bring you Transformation Saturday, your opportunity to hear keynote presentations from four best-selling authors and groundbreaking speakers in the field of personal transformation:
- The Power of Transformation: What Would It Take for You
to Realize Just How Powerful You Are? with Anita Moorjani
- You Can Create an Exceptional Lifewith Cheryl Richardson
- The Tapping Solution: A Revolutionary System for Stress-
Free Livingwith Nick Ortner
- Make Your Own Rules: How to Achieve Your Most Radiant
Self From the Inside Out with Tara Stiles
You can also meet the authors in book-signing sessions.
Hot Tickets at the Event
Here are a few more can’t-miss convention highlights:
- Be sure you visit the IDEA World Showcase Room, featuring Jillian Michaels, Tony Horton, Todd Durkin, MA, and other
fitness celebrities in high-voltage concert-style workouts.
- Browse, test and sample products and services from 300 top industry brands in fitness, wellness and nutrition in the
IDEA World Fitness & Nutrition Expo Hall.
- Have a real adventure in Anaheim, with discount prices for Disneyland and California Adventure, and special sessions
offering hiking and fun at a trampoline park.
- Compete to win IDEA’s popular Inspiration Medals in creative challenges offered in select sessions.
- Wear your colorful tropical attire for the IDEA Opening Reception Luau, Thursday night in the Expo Hall. It’s a party to get things started with delicious food, tropical drinks, entertainment, raffles, and a photo booth for keepsakes.
Programs for Every Pro
Convention sessions give you an opportunity to explore new markets, techniques, skills and ideas. You can also earn up to 23 CECs during the event, plus 4–8 additional CECs during preconference and postconference workshops. Here’s a look at some of the top featured areas on the program:
Small-Group (and Partner) Training
Build your small-group and partner training skills in sessions like these:
- The Art of Progressing Clients in Small-Group Training
- The Small-Group Experience—Smart Programming for Clubs
- PlayGrounZ: Small-Group Personal Training for Big Moneymaking
- TRX® Group Rip™ Power
Business Owners, Fitness Managers and Program Directors
Learn to create in-club programming that sparks member interest, and discover how to hire superstars, deliver useful feedback to your instructors and trainers, turbocharge profits and more.
Convention topics range from current nutrition research, sports nutrition products, and nutrition for endurance athletes to setting up a healthy pantry, hydration and more. Among the highlights:
- Advances in Recovery Nutrition—It’s Not Just About Protein and Carbohydrates Anymore
- Balancing Hormones Through Nutrition
- Minimize Inflammation and Improve Performance Recovery
- The Holy Grail of Fat Loss—Gain Muscle and Lose Fat Simultaneously
Marketing & Business for Fitness Professional Entrepreneurs
Take your brand to the next level with targeted business-building workshops like these:
- Going Solo—How to Open Your Own Business
- How to Propel Your Brand Using YouTube
- Perform Better®: R.I.P. Traditional Marketing
- Kill the Comp . . . and Land Long-Term Clients
With a strong research foundation to back them up, these formats are more popular than ever. Check out the following:
- BOSU® HIIT Metabolic Challenge
- TRX® HIIT for Body Transformation
- Gray Institute: Bridging the Gap Between Corrective Exercise and High-Intensity Training
- More Than Tabata: HIIT Research to Practice
New for 2014: Technology Tricks & Tips
These sessions will help you take full advantage of the power of technology:
- 25 Apps Your Clients Are Using for Fitness
- Best Practices for Integrating Devices and Apps With Clients
- 25 Devices Your Clients Are Using for Fitness
- How Technology Is Changing the Future of Fitness
Specific Populations: Boomers and Older Adults, Women, Youth, and New Exercisers
Whatever your market niche, sessions are available to help you individualize your services, your communication style and your marketing.
Build Skills and Revenue With Preconference and Postconference Courses
One of the best professional opportunities at IDEA World Fitness is the specialized training available before the event— and this year, for the first time, in-depth courses are also being offered after the event. All preconference and postconference courses offer a certificate of completion. For more information on certification details, prerequisite courses, materials provided, etc., see full course descriptions at www.ideafit.com/world. This year, you can choose from 13 preconference and 4 postconference courses:
Preconferences: Wednesday, August 13
- STOTT PILATES®: Ultimate Back Care with Merrithew Health & Fitness™ Faculty
- INSANITY®: Instructor Certification with Vanessa Head
- RealRyder® Indoor Cycling: Certified Instructor Training with Douglas Brooks, MS, and Adam Reid
- Balanced Body®: Barre™ with Lizbeth Garcia and Portia Page
- TRX FORCE®: Suspension Training® Course, Level 2 with Dan McDonogh and Fraser Quelch
- BOSU®: Master Trainer Specialty Certification with Candice Brooks, Douglas Brooks, MS, and Shannon Fable
- Schwinn® Cycling: Instructor Certification with Julz Arney and Jeffrey Scott
- A Day of IMPACT—A Life of LEADERSHIP! with Todd Durkin, MA
- ACE: Sports Conditioning Workshop with Jonathan Ross and Anthony Wall, MS
- Tabata Bootcamp™ with Mindy Mylrea
- NASM: Corrective Exercise Workshop with Marty Miller, DHSc, and Theresa Miyashita, PhD
- Foundations of Nutrition with Teri Mosey, PhD
- Zenga™ Mindful Movement: Breathing Workout and Fluid Conditioning With Mini Stability Ball™ with Merrithew Health & Fitness™ Faculty
Postconferences: Sunday, August 17
- BOSU®: Mobility and Stability for Active Aging Specialty Certification, Level 1 with Lawrence Biscontini, MA, and Bernadette O’Brien, MA
- Jillian Michaels BODYSHRED™ Instructor Certification with BODYSHRED™ Faculty
- Zumba®: Toning Instructor Training with Abraham Hernandez and Sara Hernandez
- Strala Intensive Training with Tara Stiles
For more information, see www.ideafit.com/world.