Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and sweethearts everywhere will be flocking to their favorite restaurants for a night of romance and risotto. You may
be crazy in love, but that doesn’t mean you have to abandon your good sense
and your resolve when it comes time to order off the menu. Here are some strategies to employ that will keep you dedicated to your diet:
- Eat a small meal or a healthy snack an hour or so before you leave for the restaurant; this will help keep your resolve strong when faced with a list of tantalizing food and wine offerings.
- Be picky (but polite!) when ordering; don’t be afraid to ask for the salad dressing on the side or for your fish to be broiled rather than fried—even if the menu doesn’t list such choices.
- If available, select from the “healthy” side of the menu; many restaurants now flag items that are heart healthy or low in sodium.
- Don’t continue to nibble on your leftovers while waiting for the server to take away your plate. Drape your napkin over those last few bites of decadent dessert or move the bread basket to the far side of the table while you await your check.
- If you do overindulge at dinner, start off the next morning on
a healthy track with a bowl of high-fiber cereal.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up tp date with our latest news and products.