If you’re in the habit of eating al desko—that is, you tote your lunch to work and eat at your desk—consider stocking a mini pantry for yourself to give your midday meal a little extra zip.
Here are a few tips gleaned recently from the Bon Appétit Foodcast:
- Keep mini containers of your favorite finishing salt, pepper or other seasoning on hand.
- Bring in a lemon and wake up your soup or salad with a fresh, last-minute squeeze of citrus.
- Stow a small bottle of good extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling on almost anything.
- Love hot sauce? Be it Tabasco or Ninja Squirrel Sriracha, your kit is incomplete without that fiery hit.
- Bring in a real plate or bowl and eat from that. Tupperware is fine for transporting your food from home, but reheating and eating out of it can undermine your lunch experience. Also, ditch the cheesy plastic spork and use real silverware.
Perhaps the best advice of all: Get away from your desk altogether. After sprucing up your meal with your handy desk-pantry staples, invite a co-worker to sit down at a proper table, and connect as you eat. How civilized!