Techniques for Mindful Recovery
High-intensity interval training has been all the rage for a while now, but participants are finally starting to recognize the benefits of recovery. During this restorative phase, the body repairs itself, which leads to optimal training improvements. The following class supports the recovery process by exploring mindfulness, relaxation and breathing techniques. It also addresses body awareness, muscle tension and myofascial trigger points. Make this a stand-alone 60-minute class or condense it to a 30- or 15-minute session.
Mindful Restoration and Recovery Details
GOAL/EMPHASIS: mind-body tension relief, breath and body awareness, deep relaxation
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: mats, foam rollers, massage balls, stretching straps
MUSIC: yoga-inspired instrumental music (no specific beat or vocals); meditation music for final relaxation
Warmup: Circling the Senses (4 minutes)
Teach mindful presence and focus participants’ attention with this sequence:
Touch. Stand with feet hip-width apart. Close eyes. Breathe deeply, feeling your body in space. Shift weight forward and back, side to side. Settle in balanced posture. Notice all touch experiences—clothing, temperature, breezes, even breath in nostrils.
Sound. Allow sound to “fall” on ears—humanity, sounds of nature. Experience all sounds; do not focus on one.
Sight. Relax muscles around eyes. Without fixing gaze, take in light, shadow and colors—the visual palette.
Return attention to breath and senses, thoughts, feelings—all that is happening in this moment.
Breathing (5 minutes)
Encourage awareness without judgment.
- Stand in mountain pose, one hand on chest, one hand on belly.
- Inhale and exhale, 5 seconds each. Work up to 6 seconds, in and out.
- Inhale: lift arms overhead; exhale: lower. 3x. Add full forward bend on exhalation. Hold.
- Scan body for tension. Note it.
- Inhale; exhale: roll up to standing. Use hands to walk up legs, if needed.
Self-Myofascial Release and Dynamic Stretching (about 32 minutes)
Educate participants about the myofascial system, encouraging discovery and body awareness.
- Place small massage ball under center right foot. Inhale; exhale: press weight on ball.
- Place ball under base of big toe, press and release. Repeat, base of each toe.
- Move ball to foot center, toes off ground. Inhale: clench toes; exhale: release. 3x.
- Lift heel and roll ball across front of heel, toes and ball of foot.
- Place ball under base of big toe. Keeping heel fixed, move foot like a windshield wiper from big toe to pinky toe base. 3x.
- Roll ball from base of big toe to heel. Repeat, each toe.
- Massage both soles with rapid, random movements. Remove ball.
- Repeat mountain pose, arms overhead to full forward bend. Scan body, noting physical tension.
- Return to standing.
- Repeat, left foot.
Back, Chest and Arms
- Stand on sticky mat facing away from wall, leaving a little distance between wall and your back.
- Place two medium-sized balls on sides of spine above sacrum.
- Slowly wall-squat as balls roll up and down either side of spine. Repeat 2x.
- Move balls to midthoracic area. Repeat.
- Move balls to upper back. Repeat.
- Face wall and place ball on sternum; roll up and down.
- Place ball to R of sternum under clavicle, reach R hand out, turn L (both feet), place L hand on wall, lean into ball, and roll out to R shoulder. Repeat 2x.
- Move ball to shoulder joint. Then, roll into biceps, feet in split stance, L foot forward.
- Remove ball, turn back to wall, and place ball on triceps.
- Repeat sequence, L.
Dynamic Stretching/Mini Vinyasa: Buttocks and Hips
Hold poses for three breath cycles or 30 seconds.
- Begin in mountain pose, at rear of mat.
- Inhale: lift arms overhead; exhale: lower. 3x. Fold into forward bend.
- Inhale: walk out to plank. Exhale: hold.
- Inhale: chaturanga; exhale: lower.
- Inhale: push up into upward-facing dog.
- Exhale: push back into downward-facing dog. Hold. Affirm silently, “Calmness radiates through every fiber of my being.”
- Inhale: lift R leg to one-legged dog, pelvis and shoulders squared. Exhale: hold.
- Inhale: sweep R leg forward to pigeon. Exhale. Inhale: gentle backbend; exhale: fold forward.
- Placing head on forearms, hold 5-6 breaths, releasing tension in buttocks and hips. Affirm silently, “I rise above all thought of past and future.”
- Inhale: lift; exhale: push back to plank.
- Repeat sequence from plank, L side.
- Transition to child’s pose; hold. Affirm silently, “I relax into my inner haven of peace.”
For more info on self-myofascial release, please see “Sample Class: Mindful Restoration and Recovery” in the online IDEA Library or in the May 2018 print edition of IDEA Fitness Journal. If you cannot access the full article and would like to, please contact the IDEA Inspired Service Team at 800-999-4332, ext. 7.