Food for Thought
Marketing experts who studied current food trends among children say that “natural” foods are “here to stay” and that kids today have become more independent in their food choices. According to the market research organization Mintel, there has been “a huge amount of activity” in terms of foods being promoted directly to kids; this is particularly true in terms of the candy and soda products that are now available to children.
A senior analyst at Mintel reported these other notable food trends affecting kids:
- regulation of sugary beverages and other junk food being sold in schools
- more parents reading food labels
- efforts to make foods appeal to kids while also convincing parents that such products are healthy
- vegetables being “hidden” in foods, such as pasta sauce and smoothies, to ensure kids get their daily servings
- kids preparing foods like cookies at home (so they can control the ingredients)