Get to know our executive editor, Joy Keller.
A former IDEA editor once said that if Joy’s writing and reporting style were likened to a food, it would best be described as peanut butter. Why? Her work is “nutrient-dense,” packing a punch that sustains readers a long time.
“That descriptor was so accurate, I never forgot it,” says editor in chief Sandy Todd Webster. “Every time I read Joy’s work, I can’t help but marvel at how on target that analogy was. She is among the finest editors and hardest workers I’ve ever had the pleasure to call a colleague and a friend.”
Joy’s Impressive History With IDEA
- Joy has been an editor at IDEA for almost 17 years! Over that time, she has been a lead content developer and editor for Fitness Journal and its predecessor, IDEA Health & Fitness Source. Joy has also launched or directed four brands at IDEA. That’s a lot of content!
- Including the years she served as an editor for the American Council on Exercise in the late 1990s, she has attended and covered 19 IDEA® World Conventions.
- Joy walks the IDEA talk: She is certified by Yoga Alliance®, Schwinn®, Keiser® and PTA Global.
- Little-known fact: Joy is a healing practitioner.
- Weirdest thing she ever witnessed in a gym: “A woman wearing 4-inch heels on a stair stepper!”
- Joy’s favorite workout music genres and favorite workout song: Heavy metal and hard rock (Tool, especially); Walk, by Pantera.
- What she loves about her job at IDEA: Getting to know all the trends and research before the general public does.
Q&A With Joy
Q: If you could spend the day with any fitness industry icon, who would it be?
A: Gilad Janklowicz! He lit the fire within me when I was 15 and got me moving.
Q: Toughest athletic or fitness challenge you conquered?
A: Overcoming a serious, life-threatening condition and injury years ago so that I could move my body again.
Q: Favorite throwback fitness format?
Q: What should people know about you that they might never ask?
A: I’m a first-generation high school and college graduate.
Q: If given the gift of time travel, what would you most like to experience?
A: A Shakespeare play at The Globe Theatre in London.
Q: Favorite view in San Diego?
A: The descent on an airplane as we barrel over the city.