Program Promotes Hefty Pledge
How much fat can a nation lose in 1 month? The International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA) and the Healthier Families Foundation created the “Get America Fit!” program to help people lose 100,000 pounds in the month of July.
According to the Healthier Families Foundation’s website, the project also aspired to help people cycle 100,000 miles, take 100,000 steps and lift 100 million pounds of weight. Participants stayed motivated by logging their progress at the program’s website and qualified to win prizes such as a PowerBlock® Home Gym.
Workout in the Sky
Clients now have one less reason to complain about being unable to exercise while traveling. Song, Delta Air Lines’ low-fare air service, is offering an in-flight fitness program. Developed by David Barton, the 15-minute workout uses resistance tubing for strength training; core abdominal work for maintaining postural integrity; and dynamic release work for stimulating blood flow and relieving tension. Passengers pay $8 for a resistance band, a ball and instructions for a tension-relieving workout.
New Facts About Arthritis in the U.S.
Here are some recent statistics about arthritis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Arthritis is the leading cause of physical disability in the United States.
- Arthritis comprises more than 100 different diseases and conditions. The most common are osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and gout.
- The number of people aged 65 or older who have arthritis or chronic joint symptoms is projected to nearly double from 21.4 million in 2001 to 41.4 million in 2030 as the population ages.
- Adults aged 65 or older have the highest risk of arthritis (58.8%), but two-thirds of all people with arthritis are younger than 65.
- Research shows that physical activity decreases joint pain, improves function and delays disability. In addition, maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding joint injuries reduce the risk of developing arthritis and decrease disease progression.