IDEA Health & Fitness Association, the world's leading membership organization of health and fitness professionals with more than 22,000 members in over 80 countries, gets fiscal by helping fitness professionals fine-tune their businesses and budgets in the latest issue of IDEA Fitness Journal.
Increasingly, fitness professionals are seeking to work for themselves. Early data from this year's IDEA Personal Training Programs & Equipment Survey reveals that more than 60 percent of personal trainer respondents are self-employed. To be successful, professional trainers must take the bull by the horns when it comes to personal finances, which requires sacrifice and discipline - not to mention understanding and experience. IDEA offers pragmatic advice on how to create healthy fiscal fitness in a debt-burdened world. Useful tips for building a better business plan, figuring out financial aspects, and resolving credit disputes also are included.
Additional Issue Highlights:
- According to The Journal of the American Medical Association (2007; 298 , 2296-2304), using a pedometer triggers greater energy expenditure and an increase of 2,100 steps per day.
- The medical community knows the acronym SOAP (subjective, objective, assessment, and plan); more and more personal trainers are modifying the process to clean up their client documentation.
- Energy drinks may pose health risks for people with high blood pressure or heart disease, according to the American Heart Association. Aside from high amounts of caffeine, these drinks may contain taurine, an amino acid that has been found to affect heart function and blood pressure.
- Common nutrient deficiencies in young athletes include carbohydrates, calcium, vitamin B6, folate, and iron (Kern 2006; Thompson 1998). Finding a registered dietitian who is credentialed in sports dietetics or sports nutrition is recommended for identifying the appropriate dietary changes for ensuring that young athletes embrace healthy, effective sports nutrition practices.
- Kids who get less than nine hours of sleep each day are at increased risk of packing on pounds, according to Pediatrics. For every additional hour of sleep by third graders in the study, they were 40 percent less likely to be overweight by sixth grade.
- A two-phase Pilates program helps breast cancer survivors regain function while taking advantage of a gentle, restorative exercise regimen.
IDEA 2008 World Convention (July 8-12, Las Vegas)
- Inspirational speakers, presenters and programs, encompassing 267 diverse sessions on fitness, wellness, and professional fitness topics as well as 129 premier sessions featuring the hottest equipment, ideas, moves, and trends that will be making news and changing the fitness industry.
- Eight pre-convention workshops offer in-depth training on STOTT PILATES on the Pilates Edge and Essential Reformer on the V2 Max Plus, Schwinn Cycling Instructor Training, IDEA Fitness Business Forum; Focus on Fitness Management, Drums Alive Instructor Training, Fit4Mom; and The Cutting Edge of Function.
- The IDEA Fitness & Expo Hall will feature the newest equipment, programs, gadgetry, clothes, shoes, music, and fun ideas at great values and pro discounts.