Over the years, I’ve become a seasoned IDEA attendee—and I've come to learn a lot about how to maximize my experience at these awesome events. Here are my top tips for those planning to join us for the 2018 IDEA® World Convention:
- Pack very flexibly! Rooms can get cold if you're in a less-active session, and things can really heat up when you're engaged in an energizing workout.
- Try to book a hotel close to the venue—for a few reasons. Quick access is great if you need to head back to your room to change. Hopefully, you can book a room with a fridge, but if not, it's helpful to be close to the convention for meals. You can save on parking each day if you're close enough to walk or take Uber.
- Each year when I arrive, I find a store to grab snacks to keep in my room so I save on food costs. I plan out what I'll bring along with me in my backpack while I’m at the event.
- Bring comfortable shoes! You will be doing a lot of moving around. Get those feet equipped!
- Mentally prepare to take in a lot of information in a short span of time. To ease the stress, bring a notebook or device to take notes.
- Make sure you network with folks in your sessions. People are more than willing to share their experience and knowledge with you.
- When creating your schedule, be sure to have a direct focus so that you come ready to make an immediate impact when you return home. It's easy to spread yourself too thin with all of the incredible options. This can leave you feeling overwhelmed and may prevent you from retaining useful education.
- Don't overpack your schedule. Pay attention to your lineup! If you do three back-to-back workshops that are all active, you will get worked, which is fine, but make sure you prep for it beforehand so you don't burn out. Read about your sessions in detail so you know what you're in for.
- Last, be ready to have a great time! Energy and vibes will be high. You will walk out rejuvenated and ready to deliver new benefits to your clients!