We’re heading into summer, which means more time spent away from home (vacation!) for many of us. How can we relax and enjoy ourselves without worrying about where to find healthy food options or how to stay motivated and active? Check out my top 5 travel tips and watch my “Summer Snacking Tips” video to help you stay on track.
Top 5 Travel Tips
- Bring healthy snacks. There are some great portable snack options, including fruit, vegetables and nuts. Be sure to include a balance of protein, fat and carbohydrate to give you the nutrition and energy you need. Want some travel snack tips? Take a look at the video accompanying this article.
- Pack your own meal. This is particularly helpful when flying or driving long distances. Most food you’ll find on airplanes and at rest stops is processed and full of “hyperpalatables”—fat, salt and sugar. Even something as simple as a PB&J on whole wheat will keep you energized!
- Stay hydrated. Water is crucial when you are traveling, especially if you're flying.
- Get enough rest. Traveling can be exhausting, which makes it more difficult to make smart choices about food. Sleep is essential!
- Assume the vertical. Basically, this means move! Get up and walk around the plane or do a lap around the rest stop. Create your own walking tour and discover your destination on foot or by bike. Bottom line, walk whenever and wherever you can.
Next time you are about to go away, take a moment to prepare some healthy choices for your trip. You’ll likely feel better for it, and your body will thank you!
Looking for more healthy, simple, delicious meal and snack ideas or have a nutrition question? Head to my site, www.culinarynutritioncuisine.com, where you’ll find a ton of helpful recipes, videos, tips and tricks.