Happiness is a precursor to success, and you can learn to be more happy. This is the message of Shawn Achor, founder of Good Think Inc., an organization that delivers information on how to apply the science of happiness, and author of The Happiness Advantage (Crown Business 2010). “When we are positive, our brains become more engaged, creative, motivated, energetic, resilient and productive at work.”
Based on research in positive psychology and neuroscience, Achor has identified seven principles that may help you live a happier life:
- The happiness advantage. Retrain your brain to improve productivity and performance.
- The fulcrum and the lever. Adjust your mindset (fulcrum) to give you power (lever) to be more fulfilled and successful.
- The Tetris effect. Retrain your brain to spot patterns of possibility, so you can see—and seize—opportunity.
- Falling up. Find the mental path that leads you up out of failure or suffering, and be happier and more successful because of it.
- The Zorro circle. Regain control by focusing first on small, manageable goals and then gradually expanding to achieve bigger ones.
- The 20-second rule. Make small energy adjustments and reroute the path of least resistance; replace bad habits with good.
- Social investment. Invest morein the greatest predictor of success and excellence—your social network.
To learn more about these seven principles, go to www.shawnachor.com.