Energy bars are a great way to get occasional, nutrient-dense shots of energy and vitamins while on the run. But these meal replacements can be too much of a good thing when it comes to unwanted calories, sugar and fat. Put your favorite bar to the test with these recommendations from the editors of Health magazine:
- Choose an energy bar with no more than 100% of the recommended daily allowance for vitamins and minerals.
- Find a bar that is high in fiber (at least 3 grams [g]).
- Avoid products that are high in sugar (no more than 18 g).
- Pick a bar with no trans fats or hydrogenated oils.
- Select a product that is low in saturated fat (less than 3 g).