I have a potential client who has cerebral palsy with vision and balance/depth perception issues, but is very eager to start a training regimen. I have requested he get doctor clearance before I start training him. I believe this will not be a problem and am wondering what type of exercises to start with.
Here is what I would do.
I would ask myself:
1. What do I know about cerebral palsy?
2. Does my client know more about his condition than I do?
3. What knowledge do I have regarding working with populations with brain injuries or pathologies of the central nervous system?
4. Do I know the different types of cerebral palsy?
5. Do I understand what the word palsy means?
6. Do I know what assessments to use with this client?
7. Does my professional liability insurance cover me when I work with individuals with diagnosed clinical conditions?
I hope this gives you some direction.