What are the best strength exercises for someone (54 year old male) with low back pain and knee pain? This person is pre-hypertensive and has a BMIi of 39. Wants to lose quite a bit of weight and has never lifted weights before. Any suggestions on some exercises to be prescribed? (legs, core, back….). I don’t want to overwhelm him with too much.. since he has never lifted. How many reps and sets are appropriate for this client?… (8-12, obviously low weight… perhaps 2 sets? Thanks so much!
For these types of clients the sequence of starting an exercise program should be:
1. Physician Clearance.
2. ROM assessment and any other assessments that are indicated.
3. Begin with foundation movements at all joints within comfort.
4. If available, include aquatic exercise.
5. Begin addition of resistance.
6. Use slow careful progression/regression as tolerated.
Even my collegiate athlete clients go through this initial phase. The information that I get from this system is the basis for the program design.