The ACSM states:
Exercise prescription for individuals with Ms should focus on maintenance, and when possible, on improvement of joint flexibility, muscular strength, balance, cardiopulmonary endurance. Exercise professionals should be aware of the following when prescribing exercise programs for people with MS:
1. Fatigue can reduce exercise tolerance.
2. Impaired balance may affect the choice of exercise mode.
3. Heat intolerance may affect intensity, duration, mode and environmental demands.
4. Spasticity may require special foot strapping.
5. Sensory loss may preclude upright activities, such as walking or running.
6. Muscle paresis can reduce exercise intensity and duration.
Taken from ACSM’s Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases ad Disabilities – Third Edition.