I usually plan my classes a day before.
I have folders separated by types of classes I teach and I either clip magazines, print outs from web sites and choreography that I design and file.
1. Depending on the class I look through my folders and write down an outline for the specific class including modifications, reps/sets, time, etc. (I usually use a clipboard) If its a kickboxing class there is no need … I don’t choregraph we just do drillwork on the bags and I teach off the top of my head.
2. I pick out the music from my workout playlist
3. I eat about an hour prior and drink 16 ounces of water (especially if it is cardio which I mostly teach)
4. If using my Gymboss or WorkoutMuse program , I set that up.
5. Not much goes through my mind, I am so used to teaching group exercise, I’m just myself and tell everyone to have fun
I never teach anything in a class that I haven’t done myself recently.
I review the last few classes and my notes about things that came up or things I noticed happening that I want to change or focus on.
I review any changes that I decided to make in the class.
I make sure I have all the equipment I need and that it is in good condition.
I take a moment before I enter the class area to remind myself that it is up to me to make the class a positive experience.
I am sure I do a few things differently from week to week and class to class, but these things are fairly constant in my prep.