There are a lot of “it depends” answers and that is very true. It depends on your area, demographics, competition, number of people, length of boot camp and time per class, and so on. However, a simple formula to consider:
Personal Training Rate X 1.5 / Goal Number of Participants X Number of Total Classes = Bootcamp Rate
PT Rate $50 X 1.5 / 8 Goal Number of Participants X 12 Total Classes (such as 2x/week for 6 weeks) = $112.50 per person for the 6 week boot camp.
If you reach your goal number of Participants you will earn 1.5 times more than your personal training rate. If you only reach 75% of your goal number of participants you will earn 10% more than your personal training rate.
If you are not reaching 75% of your goal number of participants you should look at one of four things:
1. Cost & Competition. The cost may be too high for the demographics – but if you’re getting enough personal training clients then using the above formula should work well. If you have a lot of competition in your area, you may not necessarily need to modify your cost structure; first consider the next three items.
2. Marketing. You could be marketing to the wrong demographics, not doing enough marketing, or not doing the right kind of marketing. Look into alternatives in any case.
3. The Boot Camp itself. For example if you’re holding “military” style, brutal boot camps but the demographics of your area or health club are looking for something less difficult, or if you’re sticking with bodyweight and dumbbells (which are awesome tools, but doesn’t everyone do that?) you may want to change the format the class.
4. YOU. Just thought I’d add that in! I’m always in the process of becoming a better trainer and instructor. You can always have an objectively biased associate evaluate your class, get feedback from participants (private survey’s work great), and keep educating yourself to be better at what you do.
If you’re exceeding your goal number of participants you can do 1 of 4 things:
– Keep the same price structure; you simply have more hourly earning potential!
– Lower the cost. This can make it more affordable for participants over the long term and/or give you more exposure as you’d likely have an increase in participation.
– Increase the cost and still earn the same (or more) amount of revenue. The more money participants pay the more likely they are to be committed, and you can keep your class size manageable and personal to allow more time for building relationships. In my opinion it’s also easier to train fewer people especially when you’re holding multiple boot camps on top of your other classes and personal sessions.
– Add another Boot camp class. If you have enough participants you can consider adding another session; and from there the possibilities are endless: different format, more advanced class, more X per week, different times, etc.
it really bothers me that everyone here is suggesting to go by the going rate of bootcamps! if you look at what people are offering with there boot camps and you can give way more value then people will still pay it…i charge 250 a month for classes of unlimited and i have about 120 clients but i also give them value of about 2000. i do things for my clients that no one else does…. the truth is is that if u base ur prices off what everyone else is doing then u make no money.
people say that the economy is going under and people dont have money!! that is garbage… this is the new economy… what i mean is that for instance.. big gas guzzling truck and suv sales are through the roof!! the trucks will allways be on the road, the only things that change are the people who drive them. see the money is allways there but it just changes hands. if you cannot adapt to the changes then your business WILL fail. example. all those people who say they cannot afford 200 a month for your services.. what do u think would happen if the very overrated and over publicized jillian micheals came into town and was charging a 1000 bucks a month for her boot camps…. she would have people lining up and taking out loans for her… build trust, repore, and over exeed in delivery of value and you will never have to worry again…
trainer kevin.. fb.com/fitxbootcamps
if you charge 40 50 60 or whatever!!! thats what ur services are worth