I love this question!
Harris did a fantastic job detailing many specific ways of increasing your activity of daily living. I use the same suggestions with my clients.
Here are some general questions to ask yourself as you go throughout the day:
– Can I complete this task manually? (using a manual can opener, cutting a piece of wood by hand)
– Can I complete the activity myself? (cleaning your own house, gardening your own yard, etc)
– Can I do the same activity instead of watching (playing with kids/dogs, playing sports)
– Is there an alternative activity I could be doing that would a) produce the same result b) be more enjoyable c) be more physically active?
– Can I be physically active while doing something else? (talking on the phone, exercising while watching TV or during commercials, standing in line)
If you would like some other ideas I also wrote an article “15 ways to increase physical activity throughout your day” and posted on my blog here: http://www.integratedfit.org/webblog/?p=156