I just did a press release today about Excuses people use for not working out. I actually had to cut the list down, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people have told you. Since we are always giving Fitness Tips, this is a great way to look back and see what people say to get out of working out. What excuses would you add to the list that I made:
I have an idea. Let’s start a trend of excuses to get out of the house or office to go workout.
1. “Listen. Did you hear that? I think there are some lonely pieces of exercise equipment in need of someone to help them improve someone’s fitness. I must find them and save someone’s health, mine!”
2. “I think I left my wallet at the gym. I will be back in about an hour and a half.”
3. “I could really use some quality huffing and puffing. Let’s go for a run (bike ride, swim, etc.).”
Feel free to add your own.
I’ve heard many excuses such as:
1) too busy (work or family);
2) lack of transportation to get to and from the gym;
3) no baby sistter;
4) back pain;
5) knee pain;
7) lack of finances;
8) lack of motivation;
9) not disciplined enough; and the chart topper
10) I just got my hair done and don’t want to mess it up (this is very common among African-American women).
My best excuse was when my 66 year old client called and left a message with the following:
“Hi Mary, I’m so sorry… but I am unable to work out today. I fell out of a plum tree while I was picking plums and I am very sore. ”
Another client texted me with photos of her house almost burning down a few days before Christmas because of her Christmas lights.
These were my best excuses of the year.