I am wondering how people started their weightloss competitions with their small group clients. What was the competition like? What did your clients think. I am blown away when I see these competitions give $1000’s away to winners. Where do that get the prize money? Is it through sponsorships? How did you market?
I’ve done them at a gym level as well as my outdoor group level and this is what we did:
1. Advertise! 4 Weeks in advance announcing your challenge.
Include what the challenge is fat loss/weight loss/etc, the cost, and placement winnings (1st place 50%, 2nd 30%, 3rd 20%).
2. How long will your challenge be? 4, 6, 8 or 12 weeks? We found the people became a bit bored with 12 weeks so we tried 8 weeks, which seemed to work.
3. Give your Challenge a great name!
4. Our members loved when I made a giant bubble with how much was in the “pot”. It encouraged them to also sign up for the winnings.
5. You can also ask local merchants to also participate in your challenge by donating products/goods/service to all participants.
6. Challenge T-shirts! You can go to your local printing companies or something like VistaPrint (www.Vistaprint.com) and order something like “I accepted the challenge at ___ fitness!”. This is also a great way to advertise your business!
7. Have add-ons to your challenge (i.e. nutritional counseling, personal training), to increase your income and to help clients achieve greater results.
8. Advertise that it’s not only for your groups, but their friends and family can also join your challenge (great way to stay motivated). Word-of-Mouth is also great!
9. Before and after pictures as well as fitness assessements are a MUST!
10. Always stay positive and encourage all your competitors.
11. Count-down to the start of your challenge as well as the end of the challenge.
12. Great times of the year for challenges (January, May, August/September).
Patricia, of course there are many other ways, but I hope that some of the above has gotten your idea juices flowing!!
– Cheers and much success!