2003 IDEA Health & Fitness Awards To Recognize Outstanding Fitness Professionals
IDEA Fitness Instructor of the Year Award recognizes an individual whose superior instructional abilities and influence as an instructor motivate active and underactive people to commit to a healthy lifestyle. This year's finalists are:
- Lawrence Biscontini of Fajardo, Puerto Rico and the group exercise manager at the Golden Door Spa at Las Casitas Village;
- Marcos Prolo of Irvine, California and the group exercise manager at The Sports Club/Irvine; and,
- Keli Roberts of Tujunga, California and a fitness instructor at the Equinox/Pasadena.
IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year Award recognizes a practicing personal fitness trainer and has demonstrated exceptional leadership, business management, motivational and instructional skills, and who has inspired his or her clients to greater personal growth and a higher level of fitness. This year’s finalists are:
- Carla Botelho-Sottovia of Dallas, Texas and a personal trainer at the Cooper Fitness Center;
- Jonathan Denoris of London, England and a personal trainer at Catalyst Health & Fitness; and,
- Greg Mack of Columbus, Ohio and a personal trainer and the Founder/CEO of Physicians Fitness.
IDEA Program Director of the Year Award recognizes an individual whose outstanding leadership inspires staff and influences both active and underactive people to commit to a healthy lifestyle through successful, creative and diverse fitness programming. This year's finalists are:
- Carol Scott of Long Beach, New York and national director of group fitness at Equinox Fitness Clubs;
- Denis Semenikhin of Moscow, Russia and the fitness director of the Olympic Star fitness center; and,
- Beth Shaw of Hermosa Beach, California and the founder of YogaFit and other innovative fitness programming.
IDEA Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to a person who has made major and continuing contributions to the health and fitness industry while inspiring others to regularly participate in activities that lead to healthy lifestyles. The 2003 recipient of this award is Kathy Smith who has been in the forefront of the fitness and lifestyle market since 1980, and during that time she has helped shape and inspire the lives of millions.
IDEA Fitness Inspiration Award is given to a person who has overcome considerable physical adversity and now includes regular fitness activity in their life while providing inspiration to others. The 2003 recipient of this award is Rick Hansen, a wheel chair athlete from Vancouver, British Columbia. A paraplegic since he was 15 years old, Rick – now 46 – has achieved what many thought was an impossible goal: he wheeled around the world, over 24,000 miles, through 34 countries on four continents. Rick’s foundation has also raised over $137 million in spinal cord research.
The IDEA World Fitness & Personal Trainer Convention is the premier educational event for health and fitness professionals and attracts over 4,000 participants from more than 60 countries. The IDEA World Fitness & Personal Trainer Convention, to be held in Anaheim, California, July 17 –20, 2003, is designed for health and fitness professionals such as personal fitness trainers, fitness facility managers and owners, group exercise leaders, and allied health professionals. Sessions, workshops and workouts will feature in-depth health and fitness educational opportunities with a focus on applied techniques and programming. Propel Fitness Water® is the Presenting Sponsor of the IDEA Health & Fitness Awards.
IDEA is the world's leading membership organization of health and fitness professionals with more than 23,000 members in over 80 countries. Since 1982, IDEA has provided health and fitness professionals with pertinent information, educational opportunities, career development programs and industry leadership while helping them enhance the quality of life worldwide through safe, effective fitness and healthy lifestyle programs. For more information on IDEA events, publications, educational products, member services or other activities, visit the IDEA website at: www.IDEAfit.com.
OF THE NEWS MEDIA: To receive a brochure and schedule of events
for the IDEA World Fitness & Personal Trainer Convention, or to receive
a registration form for a complimentary press pass, contact David Gilroy
at: (858) 535-8979, ext. 262, or e-mail: gilroyd@IDEAfit.com.