Expand your knowledge and earn continuing education credits with this course covering research on three different topics. Read these in-depth articles to learn more about the myths, truths and controversies surrounding stretching, coaching your fitness clients, and the benefits of exercise for clients who have cancer.
Articles and the test from the Nov/Dec 2009 CEC Research Issue of IDEA Fitness Journal.
After reading these articles, readers should be able to do the following:
- Have an increased understanding of the differences between stretching and warm-up.
- Gain a clearer, evidence-based picture of the benefits and myths surrounding stretching.
- Describe in detail the determinants of flexibility.
- Define the different stretching methods to increase flexibility.
- Design a stretching regimen for your clients that encompasses the latest research and guidelines.
- Understand the importance of levels of consciousness
for working with fitness clients.
- Describe each of the four levels of consciousness.
- Know how clients’ consciousness levels influence their
relationship to fitness.
- Distinguish between the orientations of fitness clients
and those of Wellbeings.
- Identify the seven implications of consciousness levels.
- List the benefits of physical activity for cancer survivors.
- Identify common cancer symptoms and treatment side
effects that can influence training strategies.
- Explain important differences between training cancer
survivors and training a general population.
- List the American Cancer Society’s physical activity
guidelines for cancer survivors.
- Develop a plan to connect with individuals and
organizations within the local cancer support community.