This continuing education course with three in-depth articles on nutrition will educate you on some of the latest issues in nutrition. Learn about current issues with food safety and what you can do to keep foods safe. Then, learn about eating disorders among athletes. Finally, understand the special nutrient needs of older clients and how proper nutrition can contribute to optimal health in later years.
Articles and the test from the March 2008 CEC Nutrition Issue of IDEA Fitness Journal.
Available Course Credits
After reading these articles, readers should be able to do the following:
- Identify the main federal organizations responsible for food safety oversight.
- Define which populations are at highest risk for food-borne illnesses.
- Describe how the most common food-borne illnesses are acquired, treated and prevented.
- Apply recommendations to reduce personal risk of food-borne illness.
- Explain potential strategies to improve food safety in the United States.
- Describe and differentiate among the different common eating disorders.
- Identify the medical complications of each eating disorder discussed.
- Specify the signs and symptoms of common eating disorders.
- Define the high risk factors for athletes and the specific sports linked with eating disorders.
- Recognize the scope-of-practice limitations and what not to do when dealing with clients suspected of having an eating disorder.
- Define what is considered "healthy, successful aging."
- Identify five key vitamins and minerals that become more important for the aging population.
- Generally describe the physiological changes that occur in the aging body.
- Explain how aging affects the energy and nutrient needs of older adults.
- Identify community nutrition services available to adults over age 60.
- Enroll in the course.
- View the course content.
- Take the test. (You must score 80% to pass. If you do not pass, you may retake the test.)
- Print your certificate of completion.
|Fed Up: Who’s Ensuring America’s Food Safety?||Article|
|Eating Disorders Among Athletes||Article|
|Good Nutrition for the Golden Years||Article|