In this continuing education quiz an Italian study weighs the value of breakfast before exercise. As exercise professionals strive to know the right mix of exercise and diet for optimal performance and weight loss potential in their clients, one controversy endures: will a person burn more fat during the day by fasting in the morning prior to training, or by eating a light breakfast before the workout? Learn the facts on eating or fasting for fat loss and discover the answer to this controversy.
In addition, learn what video games teach us about motivating clients and how fitness professionals and game designers converge: both strive to keep people intensely focused, highly motivated, creatively engaged and working at high limits of their abilities!
After reading these articles, you should be able to:
- Discuss the fat loss controversy over eating or fasting before exercise.
- Describe physiological variables such as oxygen consumption, respiratory exchange ratio and excess postexercise oxygen consumption (EPOC).
- Explain the optimal pre-morning training dietary approach that is a preferred strategy for weight management success.
- Distinguish between extrinsic and intrinsic rewards.
- Show a basic knowledge of the neurophysiology that causes positive emotions.