Get your resting metabolic rate and weight loss questions answered and explained with this continuing education quiz. This quiz provides an evidence-based review of seven of the most popular questions on metabolism. Also, read about how exercise results can be improved with proper use of a heart rate monitor. If you want to train rather than just work out, using a heart rate monitor to zone in on the right intensity can help track the workout in an intelligent way. Learn the five heart rate zones, which will help you identify training zones based on your specific responses to exercise intensity.
After reading these articles, you should be able to:
- Discuss and explain the components of total 24-hour energy expenditure.
- Clarify how much resting metabolic rate (RMR) will increase from long-term participation in aerobic exercise and resistance training programs and address various factors that influence RMR.
- Identify the most effective RMR prediction equation and be able to calculate RMR for clients.
- Differentiate between maximum heart rate and low-threshold (T1) and high-threshold (T2) heart rates as anchors for training zones based on individual responses to exercise intensity.
- Identify the benefits of each of the five heart rate zones.