Food fads and diet trends have come and gone over the past 30 years, but only a few have profoundly influenced how we eat and how health and wellness professionals serve our clients. With insights from nutrition experts, this continuing education quiz takes a walk down memory lane to look at 10 changes that have affected our diets and influenced our clients’ behavior. From the food pyramid to the Biggest Loser, these 10 factors have deeply impacted the way we view and consume food. A quiz you won’t want to miss!
After reading this article, you should be able to:
- List 10 trends or events that have influenced eating behavior in the past 30 years.
- Describe how the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, regulation of dietary supplements, the emergence of functional foods, the “green movement” and changes in the U.S. census have influenced our eating behaviors.
- Summarize the history and issues surrounding trans fat, sodium and high-fructose corn syrup.
- Give examples of how supermarkets are incorporating health and wellness into their stores.
- Explain how consumer perception of gluten-free diets, weight loss reality shows and bariatric surgery has changed.