Review the evidence on sleep deprivation and cognitive function and the health consequences. In this continuing education quiz, learn that a lack of proper sleep can put you at risk for a number of negative consequences. Learn the types of and stages of sleep and discuss the deleterious effects of sleep deprivation on cognitive performance and health. The importance of quality sleep should be part of the exercise professional’s common message to clients attempting to achieve optimal health. In addition, understand the importance of how to design, execute and modify a program for your client. One of the most common obstacles personal trainers face is the need to modify an exercise program during a session. Learn the key to making successful modifications and how to implement them with confidence.
After reading these articles, you should be able to:
- Discuss and explain the main types and stages of sleep.
- Define sleep deprivation and some of its signs.
- Discuss the evidence-based research on how sleep deprivation affects cognitive function and physical health.
- Explain five common ways that movement is broken down to develop exercise programs.
- Discuss why it is important, when designing exercise programs and sessions, to know that obese persons have different movement patterns from normal-weight persons.