Earn CECs while you learn the latest research on mind-body topics. Review key mind-body approaches to cardiovascular disease, with particular emphasis on meditation, relaxation and cognitive skills. Get an update on some of the most recent studies on yoga, Pilates, qigong and other mind-body topics. Finally, learn how to use compassion and sound Pilates principles and techniques to empower obese clients and help them find their centers.
Articles and the test from the June 2009 CEC Mind-Body Issue of IDEA Fitness Journal.
After reading these articles, readers should be able to do the following:
- Identify the four basic components necessary to elicit the relaxation response.
- Describe how cognitive restructuring contributes to stress reduction.
- Define the term mindfulness.
- List two factors that increase the risk for developing cardiovascular disease.
- Name three mind-body practices that can support cardiovascular health.
- Be conversant regarding a select group of studies that demonstrate the favorable effects of mind-body exercise.
- Describe the state of research regarding meditation for health.
- Understand the effects of a yoga-based lifestyle on coronary artery disease.
- Name at least three mind-body practices that research has shown to have a positive effect on stress reduction.
- Describe the utility of using adaptive Pilates exercises for low-back pain.
- List a minimum of three benefits of Pilates for the overweight client.
- Apply size-sensitive suggestions to the six Pilates principles.
- Cite one example of how to help the overweight client prepare for class.
- Name a minimum of three muscle groups that may be relevant when teaching Pilates to the overweight individual.
- Demonstrate a minimum of four Pilates exercises that may best suit the overweight body.