Feed your intellect on the latest issues in nutrition by reading three fascinating articles while earning continuing education credits. Learn more about these timely topics in nutrition: working with clients who have had bariatric surgery; the latest trend in nutrition counseling that matches your genotype to a personalized food plan; and recent findings on the role of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These in-depth articles will provide you with relevant information on some of the most important research in nutrition.
Articles and the test from the March 2006 CEC Nutrition Issue of IDEA Fitness Journal.
Available Course Credits
- Define the difference between gastric bypass surgery and gastric banding surgery.
- Explain how bariatric surgery contributes to weight loss and how the weight loss is maintained.
- Identify typical candidates for bariatric surgery.
- Describe common postsurgical complications and how to prevent them.
- Design a safe and effective exercise program for clients who have had bariatric surgery.
- Define the concept of nutrigenomics.
- Describe how nutrigenomics will affect public health in the future.
- Explain the difference between the terms nutrigenomics and nutrigenetics.
- Identify several privacy concerns related to the application of nutrigenomics.
- Describe some ways that personalized diets may be used to counteract the effects of genetic anomalies in certain types of clients.
- Distinguish between the functions of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Explain the link between omega-3 fatty acids and a reduction in the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Describe the relationship between omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory diseases.
- Select foods that are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Provide suggestions for increasing omega-3 fatty acids in the diet.
- Enroll in the course.
- View the course content.
- Take the test. (You must score 80% to pass. If you do not pass, you may retake the test.)
- Print your certificate of completion.
|Does Your Diet Fit Your Genes?||Article|
|Understanding the Role of Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids||Article|
|Weighing the Benefits of Bariatric Surgery||Article|