REPs UK PTIA REPS NZ

Yoga and Pilates Lead in First-Time Participants

by Shirley Archer, JD, MA on Dec 08, 2010

Mind-Body-Spirit News

Yoga, Pilates and cardio kickboxing have the highest percentages of first-time participants, according to the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association’s [SGMA’s] Sports Participation in America 2010 report. Overall numbers showed a 2.6% decline in Pilates participation between 2008 and 2009, continuing the trend first seen in the 2009 report. Core participation, however, increased 8.7%, indicating that people committed to Pilates have been sticking with the program. Overall participation was reported as 8.653 million. In contrast, yoga participation continued to grow overall, showing a 13.2% increase from 2008. Core enthusiasts increased by 21.9%, and total participation stood at 20.109 million for 2009. Core participants are defined as people who participate in an activity at least 52 times per year. For more information about the report, go to www.SGMA.com.

The 2010 IDEA Fitness Programs & Equipment Trends report, reflecting responses from IDEA business members, found that 90% of facilities offered Pilates in 2010, as opposed to 70% the year before. Yoga was also on more schedules—with 82% of facilities offering it in 2010, up from 62% in 2009. Pilates and yoga fusion likewise gained ground last year, rising from 43% of facilities in 2009 to 59% in 2010.

IDEA Fitness Journal , Volume 8, Issue 1

© 2011 by IDEA Health & Fitness Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission is strictly prohibited.

About the Author

Shirley Archer, JD, MA

Shirley Archer, JD, MA IDEA Author/Presenter

Shirley Archer, JD, MA, was the 2008 IDEA Fitness Instructor of the Year and is IDEA’s mind-body-spirit spokesperson. She is a certified yoga and Pilates teacher and an award-winning author base...

0 Comments

Trending Articles

Eight Fascinating Facts About Fascia

Fascia has been enjoying the limelight in the fitness industry as one of the hottest topics in recent conference programming, workshops and ...

Cardio and Creative Core

Group fitness participants can’t seem to get enough of creative core and cardiovascular exercises. If you need innovative ideas to cha...

Wake Up Your Glutes!

It’s a sad fact of modern life that the gluteus maximus, the largest muscle in the body, often becomes inhibited and “turns off.” Ironically, this inhibition can be the culprit behin...

Functional Strength Training Combinations

Functional training essentially involves moving the body through different planes of motion while working multiple muscle groups and challenging balance. This Add It Up! strategy includes an upper-bod...

Benefits of Mind-Body Activities for Kids

Today’s fast-paced, digital world pressures children to grow up fast. Instead of running around grassy playgrounds, most of them live ...

The Parkour Phenomenon

Parkour gyms have seen increased demand as the training protocol has been featured more and more in films and commercials. The increasing po...

A Back-Pain Solution

Starting with the basics. Personal trainer Jamal Younis first met 38-year-old Jessica in August 2014. Jessica, a former competitive collegia...

Cert by Selfie

Surf around on any of the major social media networks these days—Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and especially Instagram—and you&r...

Sample Class: Functional Strength for Older Adults

Baby Boomers are constantly bombarded with promises to lift, tighten and rejuvenate their bodies and “turn back the clock.” Truthfully, fitness professionals can roll back the clock for ol...

Liver Injury Due to Herbals and Dietary Supplements Is Up

If you regularly take herbals and dietary supplements, it may be time to reevaluate why you take them and what the potential cost to your he...

Next