Because today’s kids are spending more and more time glued to the computer (see related story on this page), some Web-savvy experts advise using the computer to encourage physical activity.
Here’s a list of fun Web sites (courtesy of the Wall Street Journal) that are designed to do just that:
- www.bam.gov: includes a personality quiz that kids can take to choose a suitable sport
- www.kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/exercise/exercise.html: teaches teens about the importance of exercise
- www.cdc.gov/powerfulbones/index2.html: promotes activity among girls
- http://verbnow.com: an interactive site featuring polls, quizzes and sports information
- www.presidentschallenge.org: contains activity logs, fitness calculators, and awards for when kids meet their goals